William Whitmire Talks Future Political Aspirations

Name: William Whitmire

Year: Junior                           

Hometown: Pompano Beach, Fla.

Major:  Political Science & Editing, Writing, and Media

Courtesy: William Whitmire 

Her Campus (HC): What made you choose Florida State and what advice do you have for incoming freshman?

William Whitmire (WW): I decided to come to FSU because of the opportunities that exist within my major. With FSU being less than 2 miles away from the state Capitol, I saw FSU as a place that I could further my education while also getting more involved in politics.

HC: What are some of your favorite classes in your major and what are the important lessons you have learned from them?

WW: One of my favorite classes from my major was State and Local Budgets, which was a class that discussed the budgetary process for state and local communities. This was one of my favorite classes because it gave me more insight into how our communities are funded and how our government tries to give communities the most bang for their buck with limited resources.

HC: What are you involved in on campus? What have you learned from these experiences?

WW: I am currently involved with the Student Alumni Association and serve as president. Through this experience, I have learned so much about what it takes to lead a group of people and how to adapt to certain situations.

HC: Describe your experience with the SAA and why this organization is so important to you.

WW: My experience with SAA has been extremely impactful. From being able to network with and learn from some of FSU’s most prominent alumni to establishing a new speaker series, networking nights and now focusing on revamping membership engagement and the Homecoming Parade and the Chief & Princess program, SAA is an organization that will always have a place in my heart because it has taught me so much about life and leadership. Before SAA, I had no clue of all the inner workings of running an organization and making difficult decisions. But now I have a much better understanding of these things and that is all due to SAA.

HC: What are your future aspirations? Where do you see yourself after you graduate?

WW: In the future, sometime after law school and working within the legal field for a couple of years, I hope to one day run for public office and bring accountability back to our government. When I see what is going on in this country right now, it hurts me because so many people feel as though their voices are not being heard and what makes it worse is that our elected officials can barely agree upon the color of the sky. If fortunate enough to be elected one day, I hope to bring some common sense back to this country because the way things are going is very troubling.

Her Campus at Florida State University.