Why Dating Profiles with No Bio Are the Worst

In 2018, online dating is inevitable. Unless you’ve completely given up, you’re on any (and maybe all) of the main dating apps.

It’s pretty discouraging. Most women our age spend HOURS choosing the right photos that are taken at just the right angle to both complement our faces and hide all of our lesser-liked qualities. Each photo has to be just perfect – it needs to be close enough for people to see your face so they can get a good idea of what you look like, but far away enough for them to realize your full beauty in person when you meet up.

It’s a tricky balance.

Luckily, this is why we have friends. It’s important to get your account pre-screened before you go live. Once you have all of the settings figured out and the pictures chosen, it’s important to write a bio. You want it to be fun and flirty, but not too much to where you seem problematic or like a drama queen. It needs to tell the other person just enough about you to grab their attention, but you do NOT want to give away too much. You have to remain a bit mysterious, right?

The bio obviously depends on your personality. After all the hard work you and your five closest friends have put into crafting the perfect online dating profile, it’s time to start swiping!

You get to a guy or girl, and he’s/she’s pretty cute! You swipe right and, since it’s Bumble, you have to start the conversation first. You understood this was the situation when signing up for the app—it was part of the appeal, after all.

You scroll through his or her pictures again to see if there’s something to grab onto in order to start a decent conversation and NOTHING.

You spent hours, maybe days, crafting the perfect online profile and this trash boy or girl literally doesn’t have a single word in his or her bio.

How do you start the conversation? Odds are, his or her pictures don’t reveal anything too telling, and he or she appears to be somewhat decent, but what exactly do you write?

“Hi.”

That’s a bit boring.

There are literally no good conversation starters and it sucks! Boys or girls who don’t create bios on Bumble, or any dating app for that matter, obviously don’t try!

What’s worse than no bio are those generic ones: “Voted Most Likely to __” or “Married, 2 Kids, looking for side action.” How are we supposed to find anyone who’s somewhat decent on these apps with bios like this?

Maybe it’s just me who’s had no luck, but it’s so tiring. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

All GIFs courtesy of Giphy.

Food Network and puppies for life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.