Why Creativity is So Important in College

College is a time in which we are all striving to develop into knowledgeable adults. But what students don’t often realize is the importance of creativity in this transition. Writing papers, analyzing literature and solving lengthy math problems further the development of our left-brain, but far too often students feel as though they don’t need to take the time to further develop the right side.

Even if you feel as though you are a left-brain centered individual who has nothing to contribute to the artistic world, your brain craves creative initiative. Allowing time throughout your week for creative expression in any manner will result in a great outlet for stress relief and you may find a new hobby that you thoroughly enjoy! Need ideas on how to get started? Check out the ways in which I creatively express myself! Keep in mind that you may not click with the ones I suggested so keep trying new things until you find what works best for you!

Music

Picking up an instrument is aggravating and challenging. But it stimulates multiple parts of the brain, which is what makes it so rewarding. I’m not saying you should immediately start writing your own music, but playing an instrument you enjoy is a great way to take a breather after a long week. Whenever I feel overwhelmed I grab my guitar or ukulele and spend at least an hour looking up chords to my favorite songs to play. Give it a try! If you don’t have access to an instrument, there’s always the crowd favorite of singing in the shower!

Painting

Courtesy: Geek and Sundry

Although Bob Ross is an amazingly talented man, this isn’t the type of painting that comes to my mind when I think of stress relief. Instead, pick up a brush and just go for it. Create shapes, swirls and splatters and just let it happen! Don’t worry too much about what you’re creating and just paint!

Filming

Create a film or short video! This could be a documentation of the life around you, a creation of a story you want to tell or just a poetic expression of life in general. You don’t have to have a camera to do this, but you could always check one out at a library on campus. Most cell phones can be used to create videos as well. I mean, remember vine? (Pro tip: when filming with a cell phone. . . film horizontally!)

You shouldn’t necessarily focus on school all the time. Take the time out to experiment creatively. And remember– they don’t have to necessarily be the ones that I suggested. There are so many ways to get your creative juices flowing! 

Her Campus at Florida State University.