Whoever Said Taking Summer Classes Will Ruin Your Summer Was Wrong

For most college students summer means sleeping in, not going to class, weekend getaways, going to the beach daily, having an internship, traveling and even eating out everyday. However, this is not the case for everyone, some college students need to take courses over summer break to boost their GPA up, knock out some prerequisites, to graduate faster or even to finish some minor courses that they have left. Many students express that they enjoy summer semester at their university, sometimes even better than fall and spring semesters. Here are a couple of reasons why summer semester isn’t so bad:

1. The classes are much smaller – Since no one wants to spend their summer taking classes, most students are on vacation or back home. The classes tend to be smaller and easier.

2. You’re only taking 1 or 2 classes (3 max) – Usually students taking summer courses usually take 1 to 2 courses which gives them time to relax and it is less stressful than a full load of classes.

3. The professors get to know you personally and help you better with the work– Since the classes are small, the students feel less intimidated by their professors and they tend to communicate with them more and get to know them better. Most of the professors are also not teaching a lot of classes like in fall or spring semesters so they also have time to help the student.

Courtesy of FSU Campus Rec

4. Campus is basically empty – Another good thing about summer semester is that campus is totally empty. Because of this, it is not as hectic as during the normal semesters which gives the students a little bit of calmness and get them to admire the beauty of campus more.

5. You get to be with your friends – Some of your friends might also be taking summer courses, which make it easier for you to have fun and the time might go faster than you thought.

6. You are actually doing something with your life – Instead of staying home binge watching Netflix, at least your mind is busy doing something productive and not just sitting at home being bored.

7. You still get to experience summer – summer semester usually does not last the entire summer for most people and so you still get the chance to experience summer after you finish your courses. Afterwards, you get to go home, travel and do anything else you want.

8. You meet new people – Most students don’t take summer classes and most of your friends are back home. During summer courses you get to meet new people, make new friends and go out with them.

9. It boosts your GPA – The classes can help boost your GPA from previous semesters.

10. Classes are much easier– Summer classes tend to be easier because usually the schools curriculum includes mostly foreign language courses, online classes and classes that they know students don’t need studying a lot.

11. You don’t have anyone telling you what to do– Even though we love our parents, sometimes being away from them is a relief because you are not told constantly told what to do.

12. There are also outdoor pursuits – FSU also offers outdoor pursuits where you can go to the Rez where you can paddle board, canoe, hike and much more.

13. Parking is easier– rather than waking up super early to try get parking, during summer semester you don’t have to because campus isn’t as full and parking in the garages is like heaven.

Courtesy of Pinterest

Senior at Florida State University Majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish & Communications.
Her Campus at Florida State University.