Where to shop in Tallahassee: Boutique

It’s no secret that Tallahassee is home to many college students, many of whom are from Florida.  Moving to a college town can be a big change for most, especially for those who come from a large city like Miami. One of the best parts about South Florida is the shopping, so it’s typically something most students miss while in Tallahassee. There are two major malls in Tallahassee, the Tallahassee Mall and the Governors Square Mall. However, the shops in these malls can be discouraging. While Forever 21 may be a favorite place to shop, it also means that it’s the store where everyone else is shopping, too. When I asked a group of girls in my class what they thought of Forever 21, most of them said they “love it, it has really great cheap clothes, BUT it also means everyone is wearing your top and accessories, and you want to wear something that is unique.” So what’s a girl to do?

While malls may be the go-to place for shopping, they aren’t the only place. Boutiques are perfect for shopping, especially in Tallahassee. They bring various one-of-a-kind pieces at a limited quantity. There are various boutiques close to FSU’s campus where girls can find those one-of-a-kind pieces they crave. This week we will focus on two popular boutiques, Henri Girl and Cole Couture.

Henri Girl is a local boutique that has locations in both Gainesville and Tallahassee. The store motto is
“fun and affordable fashion”. On February 17, 2011, they started their store liquidation sale with
items going for 3, 5, and 10 dollars, and up to 50-70% off popular items. Why are they doing this? Because Henri Girl is moving to a bigger store location. Henri Girl has a huge selection the latest trends at great prices. To make the shopping experience better, they have friendly customer service. When a group of girls in my Thursday afternoon class were talking about the Henri Girl liquidation sale they said, “It was crowded with probably over a 100 girls in the store at once, but they had amazing deals that you CANNOT pass up! I bought 5 shirts and saved over $200.” The liquidation sale is going on till Saturday, February 19, 2011. While the sale went on until Saturday, many of the hot items were gone before noon on Thursday, the day the sale started. On Monday, February 21, 2011, they will be opening doors to their new stores. The new store will just be a few doors down next to Tijuana Flats. If you were unable to catch the liquidation sale, then take a visit to their new store because they are sure to have more fun and fashionable items for you to choose from.

When I first arrived in Tallahassee, the first boutique I heard about was Cole Couture. When I visited the store, I immediately loved it. When you walk in, it smells like the heavenly scent of Capri Blue. Cole Couture is different from Henri Girl because it sells TOMS shoes and they sell both men and women clothing. They sell everything from jeans, jewelry, accessories, tank tops, game day outfits, dresses, and so much more! They even won a “Best of Tallahassee” award from Tallahassee Magazine. They offer a haven“for the professionals and professional party girls and guys. One of my Cole Couture girls is always there to help you find the right look for you. An upscale boutique experience without the price tag shock.” You can find brands like BCBG, Citizens of Humanity, Free People, and French Connection. Their store is located in Tallahassee’s MidTown district below The Wine Loft. They are open 7 days a week from 10am- 8pm Monday- Saturday and 10am-6pm on Sundays.

When you are having an urge to shop, I encourage you to take a trip to on of these fabulous, Tallahassee boutiques. They sell limited items of each so you don’t have to worry about wearing the same outfit as the girl 3 seats in front of you.

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.