What Your (Updated) Emoji Style Says About You

Earlier this week, Apple released their new iPhone update and if you’re anything like me, you probably updated your phone the first chance you got to use the unicorn emoji because why not? However, your texting style and more specifically emoji style, says a lot about you and your personality. It’s basically the window to your soul and a direct glimpse at your humor, so let’s decode some personalities and take a look at the new emoji update *heart eyes smiley.*

Courtesy: Apple Emojis 

If this is your current updated emoji style than you prefer the finer things in life like popping Champaign or Rosé bottles on a yacht with a boy you just met from England while only wearing Tringl bikinis. #Casual. You’re basically instagram famous and you’ve met the Kardashians on a few occasions. Even Kim complimented your sense of style because, bible, it’s really cute, and Kanye even posed for a photo with you where he smiled. You’re the Queen Bee of you friend group, but always aspiring to be a part of Queen B’s (Beyoncé’s) friend group. You’re a stylish girl and you always have the best outfits for brunch and the best stories to tell like last weekend when Kaskade asked you to be his guest DJ. You’re quite content with your life, but your aspirations and dreams are bigger than what you can type in a 140 character tweet that gets at least 100 retweets.

Courtesy: Apple Emojis 

If this is your current updated emoji style than you’re v. ironic and hipster – so ironic and hipster that you don’t even spell out the word “very.” You probably are or were an art student in college and you enjoy going to concerts only if you’re the first person out of your friend group who has heard of the band. You don’t believe in Kindles because you know there is no better smell than picking up a crisp, old book from your local public library. You have probably participated in one or two rallies or protested the use of government spending in the Middle East, but your best days are spent at the neighborhood burrito spot where your friends work. You aspire to live in Brooklyn – Bushwick to be exact – and you believe you’re destined for greatness because your mom thinks you’re funny and #HONY stopped you that one time to interview you.

Courtesy: Apple Emojis 

If this is your current updated emoji style then chances are you just got back from traveling abroad. You probably spent the last eight weeks living in London, Paris, Spain or Switzerland and now that you’re back in the U.S. you can’t stop talking about how cultured you are and about all the places you’ve been to. Eight out of 10 times you bring up that weekend trip to Amsterdam and every time you tweet or text about studying abroad you always include that flag of the country you’re talking about. Thankfully, Apple updated the flag emojis, so know there is literally a flag for every country you’ve been too. You can’t wait to travel more once you finish college, and are even thinking about trying to get a job overseas or backpacking through Europe next summer. For now, you just settle for buying Talenti ice cream and pretending it’s gelato from Italy while planning out your #tbt for the next semester with photos from your trips.

Courtesy: Apple Emojis 

Chances are if this is your current updated emoji style than SYFI because it is senior year and you’re almost done! If you don’t know what SYFI means, then this probably isn’t your current emoji style. Being that it is senior year, you have a strong case of senioritis and are hoping for the best every time you have a test because after 16 years of school you have officially checked out. You can’t wait for your post-graduation life, and you probably have picked out your dream city already along with a few places you’d like to work. You’re making your last year your best and enjoying everything college has to offer whether it is going to every tailgate and enjoying the company of good friends and burnt hotdogs, or going out on a Monday because Tuesdays you have no class. You have enjoyed your time in college and you’re full of wisdom to pass along to the youngsters. As far as your teachers are concerned you’re officially checked out and waiting to rock that cap n’ gown!

Courtesy: Apple Emojis 

Chances are if this is your current updated emoji style than you’re a Bro/Brah/Hot Shot/Pimp Juice. You spend your time going to the gym seven days a week, you never miss leg day and you love asking your friends if they lift, because you do at least double the reps more than anyone you know. Money is your motivation and you plan on making a million before 30. Dan Bilzerian is your role model and while you have no plan to be tied down anytime soon you’re always down to Netflix and Chill. You rock an Apple watch just to say you can and Drake is your favorite rapper. When you aren’t pre-gaming to “Hotline Bling,” you’re in the library studying for your Sales final. You spend your weekends tailgating and at happy hour, and like Asher Roth, you truly love college. 

Courtesy: Apple Emojis 

Chances are if this is your current updated emoji style than you are the Jaden Smith or Shia Labeouf of your friend group, or maybe actually Jaden Smith if he reads this. #Hey. You live your life in neutrals, you post pictures of the bottom of your shoe on instagram, and living life conventionally isn’t your plan. Instead you might spend your time hanging with Lucy in the sky or sleeping ‘till 3 pm because you’re an insomniac. Maybe you even dress up like batman for class just because you can. It’s safe to say you live your life beating to your own drum. Your emoji style is one that your friends never expect, but you are always known to start the trends. 

Courtesy: Apple Emojis 

Chances are if this is your current updated emoji style than you own a pair of converse that are your go-to shoes, often times paired with high-waisted shorts when going out or leggings when going to class. Your friends may call you basic, but you don’t care because you’re enjoying your life and having fun with it. Sometimes you may post one too many selfies but what’s a girl supposed to do when her eyebrows are on fleek and she’s having a good hair day? You’ve mastered the whip and the nae-nae, and you’re bound to start a dance party when either of those songs comes on. Taylor Swift is your celebrity doppelganger and you’re kind of happy that her and Harry Styles broke up because now you have been #blessed with a song like “Styles,” but you can also date him too when you meet him at his next concert.

Whatever your emoji style might be, embrace it fully and rock it because in the end of the day we are all millennials and appreciate a good emoji addition to any photo caption or tweet!  

Mia Lepp is currently beginning her third year at Florida State University as a double major in Marketing and Media Communication Studies. She is a writer and has a passion for traveling the world. When she's not writing about the latest going on at FSU she is a part time yogi, and trying to find inner peace at her favorite hot yoga class.
Her Campus at Florida State University.