‘Walk Now’ for Autism Speaks on Langford Green

Once, Autism was thought to affect one in 10,000 children. Now studies show that one in 68 children are diagnosed with this devastating disorder which affects families, schools and the community at large. Despite the epidemic proportions and high health care costs associated, autism research up until last year received less than five percent of government funding compared to other less prevalent, childhood diseases. 

At Florida State, Autism Speaks U has been an organization designed to support college students in their awareness, advocacy and fundraising efforts for Autism Speaks. There are multiple Autism Speaks U student organized events and walks that take place all over the nation. Ever since its first event, the organization has raised over 7 million. Recently in the Spring of 2015, Autism Speaks U at Florida State University became an official chapter of Autism Speaks U.

Autism Speaks U at Florida State University will be holding its first annual Walk Now for Autism Speaks event on Sunday, April 2nd at Langford Green from 12:30pm to 3pm. The walk is the foundation’s grassroots event. The walk will have an Autism community resource fair and a family friendly atmosphere that encourages participation from all. Come out and enjoy the sunshine all while taking part in this incredible philanthropy.

Sign up here!

Here you will be able to register a team or simply donate because every cent counts. Registration is free as an individual and as a team. After registration, you or your team will be able to accept donations for Autism Speaks and will be able to participate in the Walk Now for Autism Speaks event. Every individual who raises $100 gets a T-shirt and every team that raises $250 gets a booth at the Walk Now for Autism Speaks event that they can decorate/fundraise at. Hope to see you there!

For more information about the foundation visit this website.

Natalie is a Junior at Florida State University majoring in Food and Nutrition Science. She has always had an interest in writing and wants to use it as a means of educating people on their nutrition, and their physical and mental health. She is an avid procrastinator and a coffee mug hoarder. Besides science and health education, her loves include Colombian food, The Office, and corgis. Feel free to check her out on instagram: @natalieduranduran 
Her Campus at Florida State University.