The United States is Out of the 2018 World Cup

You know that feeling when the World Cup comes around. Even if you don’t like (or understand) soccer, the thrill and patriotism felt throughout the country when the United States Men’s National Team step on the pitch is like none other. There’s a sea of red, white and blue, the bars are filled with chanting supporters, and an enthusiastic distraction from the rest of the negative things going on globally is always welcomed.

Courtesy: Sports Illustrated

But after losing 2-1 in a close game against the worst team in the round of six, Trinidad and Tobago, the United States is officially out of the 2018 FIFA World Cup— their first failure to qualify since 1986. And in a country of citizens that haven’t quite grasped the game of soccer, this loss means more than just a missed-trophy or a summer without “I Believe That We Will Win” chants. It means that this loss will, as MLSSoccer.com’s Matthew Doyle writes, “diminish American interest next summer and curtail the country’s ever-budding enthusiasm for the sport.” A shame, since the United States, as of late, has been on the verge of fully embracing soccer.

Now, we have to wait eight years to watch the USMNT play in a World Cup game. You might be thinking: so what. But for beloved players like Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey, it’s tragic. And for fans of these players, it’s tragic. In the 2014 World Cup game against Belgium, American fans fell in love with Tim Howard after watching an unheard of 16 saves in one game. Now his, and Dempsey’s, careers are likely to end in disappointment and embarrassment.

Moreover, the amount of money that the United States pours into soccer and the World Cup means this loss is tragic for financial reasons, too. In fact, six years ago Fox paid over $400 million for the English-language broadcast rights in the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, and Telemundo paid over $600 million for the Spanish-language broadcast rights for the same World Cups. While the 2022 World Cup is still a possibility, a combined $1 billion loss for 2018 is a hard pill to swallow.

Courtesy: USA Today

What’s Next?

So, how will the USMNT move on from this and how will they improve so that this doesn’t happen again? Some suggest a full overhaul of the team, complete with new coaches and focus on younger players— currently, the roster is full of veteran players. Donna Shalala, a member of the U.S. Soccer board of directors tweeted that the loss “For us in U.S. Soccer [is] more than a wake-up call. Time for a revolution. Need a long-term plan that is smart.” But what is the long-term plan? Right now, it’s unclear as the devastating disqualification is still too fresh. However, a theme that seems to be consistent across the country is one of maintaining the country’s growing enthusiasm for the sport, while also improving the skills of current and future players. Both could be accomplished with a national training center; players could train and fans could watch— it’s a win-win.

As shattering as this loss has been, the outcry of fans across the country, and even across the world, is surprisingly comforting. It reveals a developed interest in a sport that dominates the globe but hasn’t found it’s exact place in the United States just yet. As for the USMNT players, you can still enjoy watching them play on various city teams— like Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley with Toronto F.C.— as they work on improving the issues that led to the 2-1 loss against Trinidad and Tobago last week.

Keep up with the USMNT here

Go Noles.
Her Campus at Florida State University.