ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

These New Emojis Will Be Released This Summer and We’re Mind-Blown

Courtesy: Refinery29

Zombies, dinosaurs and bearded men, oh my! Those are just a few emoji possibilities that may appear on your keyboards as soon as this June in the latest Apple iOS update. Earlier last week, Unicode released a set of 69 potential emoji designs to be analyzed for the upcoming June 2017 update and they are pretty on point. The creators also seem to be getting increasingly more specific with their emoji choices. For example: a woman in a steamy room holding a spoon. I’m not quite sure what that one stands for; perhaps for eating in the shower? If so, I’m definitely on board!

Courtesy: Refinery29

Besides being very specific and detailed, a lot of the proposed emojis fill in the gaps of the current emoji keyboard. Until this current emoji proposal, we’ve all had to live (and freeze our butts off) in emoji t-shirts, bikinis and sundresses because we were clearly not provided with the proper emoji clothing for the winter season. By next winter, fortunately, iPhone users will be properly emoji-clothed because the new update is slated to include seasonal clothing like an emoji trench coat, gloves, and a scarf!

Courtesy: Refinery29

In addition to the much needed attire, the new update will gift iPhone users with an orange heart! This emoji has been a long time coming and it’s crazy that it took so long in the first place. Yes, this may seem incredibly simple, and yes, it can easily be overlooked, but there is a dire reason that the orange heart is essential: Without the orange heart, there is no heart rainbow! 

Courtesy: Refinery29

Another theme that is extremely prevalent among the 69 proposed emoji is wizards and whimsy! There will be male (and female, of course) wizards, fairies, genies, mermaids and elves right at your fingertips! When your mom said you could be anything you wanted, she certainly wasn’t kidding.

Courtesy: Refinery29

The most important proposed editions to the ever-growing emoji keyboard are the food emojis. The creators have truly out-done themselves by providing iPhone users with the pie emoji. All pie lovers may now rejoice; your prayers have been answered! No more substituting pie with the slice of cake emoji! Hooray! Besides the pie emoji, there may also be a fortune cookie, steak, broccoli, pretzel, can of soup, takeout box and much more!

Courtesy: Refinery29

The final emoji that is worth mentioning (and rooting for) is the curling stone emoji. It doesn’t look like much and iPhone users have probably never known they needed a curling stone emoji until it was proposed, but curling is an Olympic sport! Let’s hope that this emoji is included in the new update so curling is no longer under-appreciated!

Tawnie Simpson is a Senior Editing, Writing, and Media student at Florida State University. She enjoys (needs) a good cup of cold brew, she comes from a small town nobody knows called "about an hour south of Tampa" and she is often mistaken for 10-year-old Lindsay Lohan, but she's not complaining.
Her Campus at Florida State University.