These Fashion Sites Take Everyday Looks Out of the Box

It’s easy to get caught up in the bandeau tops and stretchy skirts, lace chokers and gladiator sandals. You can’t get away from Michael Kors totes and lulu lemon leggings that wear like a second skin, and you don’t really want to. All of that is good and fine. It’s based on your own personal decision, really. Wear what you want. Wear what makes you feel good. That’s my motto, always has been. It’s not up to anyone else to decide what makes you feel your best. It could be the raggedy jean shorts you’ve had since 11th grade, or that brand new sweater that you swear you’ll wear forever.

Clothing isn’t about fitting in or molding yourself to look like someone else. It’s about finding your ground in the midst of all that, and holding on to what makes you comfortable.

I’ve rounded up some alternatives to the standard every-day look seen around town, or at least what seems to be populating fashion blogs nowadays. The following sites still sit in the same realm of fashion consciousness, but takes it one step further by slipping a little bit outside the box.

Lazy Oaf: I’ve personally never ordered anything from here but I love scrolling through the site. It’s so pastel! It’s so cartoon-heart-eyes! It’s an odd mix of first day of kindergarten and self-assured semi-ironic adult style. I love it. Their sparkly space dress is something straight out of my dreams.

Courtesy: Lazy Oaf

& Other Stories: It’s a sister brand to H&M but with a mod-chic flair to it. It’s sophisticated rather than just trendy. I’ve been to one of their locations, and the store itself is any contemporary decorators dream! The jean section is frayed to perfection and Olivia Pope herself would be honored to wear one of their caramel colored trench coats.

Samantha Pleet: I’ve never purchased anything from this site but my gosh it’s pretty to look at! The price range sits a bit too high for everyday shopping, but the mesh separate and cozy Bear Coat (pictured below) is an article of clothing I would definitley have hanging in my dream closet.

Courtesy: Samantha Pleet

Matt and Nat: I first purchased a bag from them one summer in New York. I convinced my family to venture over to a bookstore across the street from the restaurant in which we were stationed. The bookstore itself was magical, filled with poetry books galore. The bookshelves, while stacked high, also featured what I thought were leather purses squished atop. As it turns out, they were vegan leather purses in various colors and shapes so unique I walked out of the bookstore with a bucket style ice blue purse. They are made from recycled materials and each feature the brand motto: Live Beautifully. Who wouldn’t love that?

Another strand above standard purse wear, Pixie Mood is 100% vegan materials and features such original designs that you’ll want to buy them all!

Courtesy: Pixie Mood

Exhibit A: The perfect neutral color pallet featured on their site homepage.

Crap Eyewear: An odd name, right? Sort of like Decent Pizza here in Tallahassee. Questions that keep me up at night: Are they really just what they saay they are? Are they advertising just decent pizza? Just crap eyewear? Well, Crap Eyewear does have a bevy of stylish, affordable options that don’t seem to take themselves too seriously. I’d say the name itself is meant to be ironic. Their ‘About Me’ page offers this catching anecdote: “Born in reaction to an expensive and often all-too-serious eyewear market, we create quality sunglasses that are design-driven, fashion-forward and accessibly-priced.” Next time you’re in the market for snazzy, face framing lenses, scoot on over to Crap Eyewear because they just might have your next favorite accessory handy.

Courtesy:Crap Eyewear

Fresh twist on classic sunglasses. Effortlessly cool humans. What’s not to love?
Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.