Taking on the World in Style

Meet Blaire Huhta, Retail Merchandising & Product Development Major at Florida State University. While finishing up her senior year at FSU she is serving as the Vice President and Managing Editor of the student run magazine, Diverse World Fashion.

HC: Just so our readers can get to know you better, how would you describe yourself?

BH: I would describe myself as someone who is outgoing, driven, and passionate. I enjoy working with all types of people and take inspiration in my everyday life. I believe every person you encounter can teach you something and I try to take advantage of all opportunities that come my way. 

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

BH: In my free time I enjoy being at home, cooking, and just relaxing. I love spending quality time with my close friends and am a sucker for a good romantic comedy.

HC: Having a sense of style is very important in the fashion world, and since you happen to be a certified fashionista, how would you describe your personal style? What is your favorite type of outfit?

BH: My personal style is a mix of classic pieces with an edgy twist. I like to wear things that are comfortable and easy without compromising the element of surprise in each outfit. My favorite combination for an outfit would have to be adding feminine touches to boyish pieces, like oversized jeans with a great pair of pumps and a pearl necklace.

HC: For those who haven’t heard of Diverse World Fashion, what is it and when did you first get involved with the organization? What is your favorite part about the magazine?

BH: Diverse World Fashion is a student-based organization that originated almost 2 years ago on FSU’s campus. DWF produces a fashion publication each semester and also holds events for students to participate in. This organization gives students the ability to experience first hand what it is like to work in various parts of the fashion industry from styling, modeling, and photography to art and graphic design. I started with DWF in the Spring of 2013 as a Booking Director. My role was to scout models for editorials and shoots for our magazine.

My favorite part about being in DWF is definitely the amazing relationships I have made with some of the most talented individuals I have ever met. Our group is so diverse and has a great mix of students from all majors, which allows each of us to learn from one another.

HC: What does your position as Vice President and Managing Editor of Diverse World Fashion involve?

BH: My position involves assisting the Editor-In-Chief with any and all tasks. Together, we both lead a team of over 60 directors who help produce our magazine each semester. 

HC: What would you like to see happen to DWF by the time you graduate?

BH: After I graduate, I have no doubt in my mind that DWF will continue to do great things and I hope to see it become an even larger and more well known publication, not only on FSU’s campus, but also around Tallahassee and the surrounding cities/schools as well.

HC: What are your career goals for the future? What do you hope to accomplish once you graduate and go off into the ‘real world’?

BH: When I graduate, I hope to have the ability to work within fashion and retail in an environment that fosters creativity and uniqueness. I hope to eventually be a fashion buyer for a well-known company that does high volume, like Nordstrom, Kohl’s or Target. I also am interested in social media and plan to further develop my personal brand through blogging and media sites. I hope to be well established in a rewarding career in the next 10 years and would like to be traveling the world while doing what I love. 

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."