The Story Behind the Landis Puppies: Adopt a Dog, Save a Life

Clumsily frolicking without a care in the world, the puppies of Landis Green are one of FSU students’ most favored attractions. Adorable and playful, Landis passersby must often fight the daily urge to grab a puppy and just take off running — don’t lie, you’ve thought about it. But where do the cuddly creatures come from? Why does every college student seem to have a puppy? Where oh where can I get my hands on one?!

Well, Collegiettes, you will be pleased to know that I have discovered the answer, and it’s one that is extremely beneficial to the dogs themselves. I’m talking about adoption! Many of the puppies you see have been rescued from a shelter and given a loving home by a Florida State student.

Ashley Brooks, a sophomore theatre major, adopted Molly just two weeks ago. The one year old puppy is a black lab and terrier mix, and couldn’t be cuter! “I got Molly from a shelter in Jacksonville called ‘Dogs Deserve Life’,” Brooks told me. “They rescue dogs who would otherwise be euthanized.” Little Molly is loads of fun, and Brooks’ roommates are big fans of her as well. “She makes me and everyone in the apartment super happy because it’s honestly difficult to be sad or stressed out with her around.” 

When asked about her views on rescue dogs, Brooks replied, “I highly recommend pet adoption. [The animals] bring good vibes into your home. Molly loves everyone she meets and has the same effect on everyone who meets her!”  

Brooks and Molly are already the best of friends.

Kaitlyn Hamby, a sophomore media production major, recently rescued two year old Padfoot, a Staffordshire terrier. She adopted her puppy from a shelter in Macon, Georgia, and drove six hours through the night to pick him up just minutes before he was going to be euthanized. “A couple of months ago, a friend of mine posted on Facebook saying she couldn’t take care of [Padfoot] anymore,” She told me. “I responded too late though, and she had already given him away.” Hamby told me the story of how Padfoot’s adoptive family then decided they didn’t want him anymore, so they gave him to someone else who ultimately came to the same conclusion. The pattern continued and the dog was passed around to nine families before he ended up in the shelter in Macon. “They were going to euthanize him,” she said, “But they had to check his microchip first which led to my friend, who immediately called me.”

When I asked Hamby her opinion on pet adoption, she said, “I always encourage adoption from a shelter. These dogs need love and a home!” She then smiled and continued, “They are so grateful when you take them with you… they really know when they’ve been rescued.”

Padfoot lounging under a tree on Landis Green with his favorite ball.

If you are interested in pet adoption, the local Leon County Humane Society is always in need of loving homes for their animals. According to their website, the shelter receives over 500 dogs and cats a year, many of which come from owners who can no longer provide the animals with care. This Humane Society is unique in that they are a no-kill shelter, meaning that they do not euthanize animals except in severe health-related cases. Due to this, they are in constant need of caring, dependable owners to give their animals a safe and welcoming home. It’s a win-win really; you save an animal’s life and instantly acquire a new best friend.

This past weekend, the Humane Society celebrated its 55th anniversary with an open house event. It featured an adoption fair complete with dogs, cats, party favors, gifts, and information. The celebration marked the inclusion of new Saturday hours, which were previously not in effect. From now on, the shelter is open from 10-5pm every Saturday, in order to give the animals a better chance of being adopted. According to the website, the exciting change was made in order to, “better suit the needs of the community,” as well as benefit the animals themselves. 

The society’s website has a frequently updated lists of dogs and cats that are in need of being adopted. They also have a fostering program, where you can care for an animal until a new home becomes available for them, so they aren’t staying in a crowded shelter. If you are unable to take an animal into your home, the shelter also provides a sponsoring program, where you can donate to a specific animal throughout their stay and cover the costs of things they need, such as food and vaccinations.

Bentley, a hound mix, is new to the site. At just twelve months old, he is described as affectionate and playful with high energy; perfect for playing fetch on Landis Green! Spot, an American bulldog, is a three year old cuddle-lover who quickly takes to people, and would probably love curling up next to you for a Netflix marathon. According to the website, all dogs that stay at the Humane Society are microchipped, spayed or neutered, free of heartworms, and up to date on vaccinations. They come completely prepared for adoption — so what are you waiting for, Collegiettes?

Based on the responses from adoptive pet owners, there are few things that feel more rewarding than saving the life of an animal. Whether you adopt from the local Leon County shelter, or from another of your choosing, pet adoption presents you with the opportunity to be a hero. Your pet will look up to you for as long as you have them, and you will always have a faithful companion by your side.

Source: The Leon County Humane Society

~Editor-in-Chief~ Senior Honors Student at FSU Major: Editing, Writing and Media Minor(s): Communications and Psychology Likes: The beach, green tea, Friends re-runs, chats with her mom and going for hikes Follow: Instagram @samswan and Twitter @swan_sam "In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi
Her Campus at Florida State University.