Stephanie Mosakowski: Celebration Leader With a Passion For Celebrating Relay for Life

Name: Stephanie Mosakowski

Year: Senior

Hometown: Orlando, Fla.

Major: Criminology and Psychology

Her Campus (HC): So, Stephanie, What are some organizations you’re involved with here at FSU?

Stephanie Mosakowski (SM): I am a celebration leader for Relay for Life, and I’m a member of Lady Spirithunters.

HC: Those both sound awesome. Can you tell me more about your role as a celebration leader for Relay for Life?

SM: There are around 30 of us this year and we are in charge of helping prepare spirit week in the spring and coming up with activities for the night of Relay to keep people excited. This year’s theme for spirit week is “Love Is In The Air.” Students can visit us on Landis and come to our “share it” night at a restaurant around town, which will be determined closer to the event.

HC: That sounds fun; we’ll definitely have to stay updated on that event. So, how did you come about getting involved in Relay for Life? And elaborating on that, what made you want to be a celebration leader?

SM: I became involved with Relay for Life through Lady Spirithunters because each year they fundraise as a team. But what made me more involved and devoted to raising money was the fact that my mom had battled breast cancer and is a survivor, and my grandmother lost her battle to throat cancer. After my first year I loved it, so finally, in my third and final year, I applied as a celebration leader because I heard it was a lot of fun and a great way to be more involved with the internal Relay team! I luckily got an interview and was chosen to represent this great organization.

Courtesy: Stephanie Mosakowski

HC:  This organization definitely has close personal ties with you. What are some ways that students can donate or contribute to Relay, even if they’re not part of the organization?

SM: As a student, everyone can register to walk and fundraise for Relay! You can go online and join the FSU team and start raising money. Another way to help is by donating to friends who are currently on a team. We actually have Giving Tuesday on November 28th where we are trying to raise $25k in one day; we will be on the union green having a carnival with a ton of food and goodies! Another big event this semester is our Santa Sleighs Cancer 5k on December 3rd and this money goes straight towards our fundraising efforts.

HC: Can you tell me more about the events that go on the night of Relay for Life?

SM: So, during the night of Relay each team has their own tent that they have any team necessities or any food/goodies they are trying to sell to make more money. As people walk around they’ll buy stuff and visit multiple tents. There are a few separate things that the internal team of Relay puts on like donating hair to cancer patients and having themed hours for people to dress up! We also have luminaries that are lit during the night to acknowledge loved ones. This will be my first year walking the whole night, so I will find out closer to the date what other fun events we’ll put it on.

HC: That sounds like such a fun night! When and where is this year’s Relay for Life?

SM: This year’s Relay is April 20, 2018, at the old IM fields.

HC: Thanks for all of this great information about Relay for Life. I just have one last question: how can FSU students sign up for/participate in this year’s Relay?

SM: They can go online to relayforlife.org and choose the FSU team! However, if you’re in an organization on campus you can ask if they’re planning on doing Relay and, if they are, you can sign up for their team name.

Go Noles.
Her Campus at Florida State University.