Spring Break: Stuck in Your Hometown Edition

Spring Break: the one week during the year where it is socially acceptable to party all day and night and no one will say anything about it – or at least, that’s what it seems like. As a freshman in college and being only 19, I can’t partake in this weeklong partying unless I plan to go out of the country, which just isn’t possible on this college budget. So unfortunately, I will be going home for spring break. Even though my hometown is a tropical paradise – I live in South Florida next to the beach – finding ways to occupy myself while my friends are having the time of their lives exploring the world will be kind of hard. If you are among the many broke and underage college students who will be going home for spring break, then here’s a few fun things almost anyone can do in their hometown.

Of course, the first thing that comes to mind when you think of spring break is the beach. Growing up in sunny South Florida has spoiled me into thinking that a beach is something to take for granted, but not everyone has the luxury of being able to drive 10 minutes and hit the beach, so in that case there are a few easy alternatives! If you live in Florida, odds are you live at most 45 minutes away from the beach, but if you are among those who don’t have the beach as their backyard, then many lakes offer easy and fun alternatives to the beach! If you live in an area that’s cold during spring break, then take a small day trip to the coast. Even though you can’t partake in enjoying the water, just breathing the salty air will make your spring break feel more tropical!

If the beach is nowhere near attainable or you aren’t a fan of sand, there are many other hometown favorites you can enjoy that will keep you occupied! If you don’t live close to the beach, odds are you live close to the north. If that’s the case, a fun and easy way to pass the time while still enjoying yourself would be camping! There’s nothing like gathering a group of your closest friends together and camping out under the stars for a weekend. Many camping sites are extremely affordable, and there’s usually one within 30 minutes of almost every city.

Source: Pedal Power Touring

If you’re looking to get away for a few days and aren’t interested in camping, most states have an amusement park fairly close to every city. If you live in Florida, then you’re well aware that Disney World, Universal Studios, and Busch Gardens are easily within our reach. But if you don’t live in Florida, lots of other states have amusement parks too! Many states have Six Flags, SeaWorld, Cedar Fair, and a multitude of other smaller theme parks. You can make a day trip out of visiting any of these parks, or kick back for the whole weekend and enjoy a short vacation without breaking the bank (while still getting your vacation fix).

If none of these things are possible, simply sitting at home and enjoying the company of your friends and family can make any spring break enjoyable without costing a thing.

Sophomore computer science major at Florida State University that loves everything fashionable, yoga, food, art, and technology related. Originally from Boca Raton, Florida but currently residing in Tallahassee attending the best school in the nation!
Her Campus at Florida State University.