Shonda Fans Rejoice: TGIT is Back

Welcome to your one stop shop for everything television. Missed your favorite show this week? Can’t find anywhere to watch the previous episode? Don’t stress! We have you covered with weekly recaps of fan favorites so that you don’t have to miss a beat. Just give this column a read, and you’ll be ready to pick right back up where you left off.  It’s that time of the year again! Time to cry over lost love, time to yell at the television in frustration and time to hold your breath and pray that your favorite character lives to see another season. You may have guessed it; it’s time for the return of TGIT. September 22 saw the return of Grey’s Anatomy and How to Get Away with Murder, and it is safe to say that both premieres came with the promise of more drama filled seasons. 

First up in the TGIT lineup is Grey’s Anatomy, airing Thursday nights at 8 p.m. Entering its thirteenth season, long term fans understand that the entire dynamic of Grey’s Anatomy has shifted from where it began in season one. While we may still struggle to forgive Shonda Rhimes for the death of George, Izzy, Mark, Derek, the list goes on and on, every Fall we still return to see what heartbreak she has in store for us next. Twelve seasons of love and suffering have gone by and, based off of last Thursday’s episode, it is clear that this season isn’t going to be any easier on our emotions. Picking up from where season twelve left off, Thursday’s episode follows DeLuca’s fight for his life after being severely beaten by Alex over a complete misunderstanding. Throughout the hour, the doctors of Grey-Sloan Memorial rush to salvage DeLuca’s future career as a surgeon and determine who was responsible for such a violent act. Meanwhile, Meredith Grey is struggling between protecting Alex, who we know has become her new person in the wake of Yang’s exit, or doing the right thing and turning him in to the police. In the midst of all of this drama though, we can’t forget about April and Avery’s new baby. Finally some happiness for one of our favorite pairings, but if we know anything about Shonda, it’s that this happiness will not last long (sigh).

Courtesy: TV Line

Skipping to the end of the episode, we see Alex being taken away in handcuffs and Jo sobbing, once again, over how difficult her life is. If you ask me, this whole “woe is me” act on Jo’s part is getting a little old, but over the next few episodes we should see how the situation of her mental stability, DeLuca’s life, and Alex’s career pan out. Throw a few love triangles and some family drama into the mix as well, and you are all set for another exciting season of Grey’s Anatomy. The Shonda drama did not stop there though, as we also saw the premiere of How to Get Away with Murder, which airs regularly at 10 p.m. on Thursdays. Episode one picks up with the Keating five returning from their summers away from Philly, as Annalise warned them that Frank has been the real danger all along and told them to get out of town. Keating no longer teaches Intro to Criminal Law (seems like the school finally noticed her students are not getting any working done in their other classes because they are too busy murdering people), Wes has a new girlfriend, and there is some new guy vying for teacher’s pet (secretly hoping the original five make him disappear soon). While the episode goes back to its roots, following the efforts of the students and Keating to win their court case, the whole time we are left wondering what the heck is going on with Frank.                 

Courtesy: US Weekly

Skip to the end of the episode when we flash forward two months. We see Keating standing in front of her burning house as coroners wheel a body out of the wreckage. We have no idea who it is but what we do know is that Annalise is devastated. Could it be Wes? Could it be her lover, Nate? We will have to wait until the end of the season to find out, but the show does leave us with one promise: tune in each week and you will find out who it is not.  

Rhimes enthusiasts may have noticed one popular series missing from the Thursday night lineup. Fan favorite Scandal has been replaced by ABC’s latest series, Notorious. Following the story of a defense attorney (Daniel Sunjata) and a powerful television producer (Piper Perabo) who work together to control the media and the justice system, the show features quite a few attractive (hint, hint: Ryan Guzman) familiar faces. While it is meant to follow a series of twists and turns that unravel after a teenager is killed in a hit and run, episode one failed to live up to the high standards of ABC’s usual Thursday night lineup. But don’t stress TGIT fans; Scandal is only taking a temporary break due to the timing of Kerry Washington’s second pregnancy, so be sure to have your wine glasses ready for a midseason premiere.  

Courtesy: TV Fanatic

This Thursday gave us the smallest glimpse of the drama that lies ahead. What are your thoughts on the premieres? Are you excited for the rest of the season? 

Click here to check out the schedule for the rest of your favorite Fall TV premieres!

Her Campus at Florida State University.