If your hometown is over an hour away or if your apartment doesn’t allow pets, then you know the feeling of puppy envy. Puppy envy is the pure sadness of not having a fury companion by your side because of reason A or B mentioned above.

You have puppy envy if…

You spend your days bored because you don’t have a cute little face close to yours trying to lick it every second. What good is Netflix and popcorn when you don’t have a pouty face trying to eat anything that falls out of your hands? Every task, even cleaning, automatically becomes more enjoyable when you have a pup around.

You walk around campus and a part of you mentally cries because you don’t have an adorable ball of fluff walking beside you. The other part of you wants to run up to the owner and beg him or her to allow you to pet such cuteness. Even a few seconds with this person’s dog will make your heart do summersaults.

You get sad when you don’t have a running buddy who doesn’t complain, an adventure buddy who gets just as excited as you do exploring new trails and parks, a sleeping buddy who loves sleep just as much as you do (maybe even more than you do) or someone to wake you up every morning. It’s hard to wake up grumpy in the morning when there’s a dog in your face. Just look at that face!

You understand puppy envy if your heart melts every single time you see a dog video or picture. You may have watched these videos more than once too! You also probably follow a lot of dog accounts on your social media because just one dog page is never enough.

Having puppy envy means you wish you could celebrate their birthdays because it’s adorable and they deserve it. You wish you could take pictures with them making silly faces. Or you may imagine how creative their Halloween costumes may be!

Puppy envy is a serious thing! Everyone should have a dog, or any animal really, because animals bring us joy. They make awesome companions, warm sleeping buddies, and incredible jokesters. They make us laugh on our most stressful of days. They give us unconditional love, and that’s something students need when they are away from home. We need that type of positivity in our lives!

Not having a furry face constantly looking at you and following you around can be hard, Collegiettes! From one Collegiette to another, I understand the struggle of not having a fury little friend to hug and kiss all the time. You want someone to be happy to see you when you come home every day and you want to see that adorable head tilt every morning and night!

Not to worry Collegiettes. You are not alone in your puppy envy. There are many of us out there who aren’t fortunate enough to have so much cuteness in our lives. This puppy envy, however, allows those of us who do have dogs back home to really appreciate every minute we have with the. For those Collegiettes who have puppy envy, but do not have a puppy at all, find an apartment who allows pets and get yourself a fury friend!

Amanda loves to write creatively on her spare time. When she isn't studying for her double major in both Psychology and Editing, Writing, and Media, Amanda is in the kitchen cooking up some dinner or baking sweet treats. She is a kid at heart and will never be too old for anything Disney. Amanda aspires to become a producer and writer for future video games.
Her Campus at Florida State University.