Like we’ve mentioned before, at first glance, Kaitlyn and I had very little in common. Different hometowns, different religions, different aspirations, you get the idea.  And I’m sure by now you have come to learn just how close we have become despite all of our differences. So what does that tell us? Opposites Attract!

There are plenty of combinations out there that, well, just don’t make sense to us! However, for some strange and unexplained reason, they click. But who are we to judge?

First, food pairings:

·         Wine and cheese, but no complaints!

·         Any “green” smoothies or juices (we still have no clue what kale is!)

·         Zucchini bread (recipe anyone?)

·         Chocolate-covered bacon

·         Rum and coke

·         French fries dipped in a milkshake

·         Ranch dressing with pizza…or any other food!

·         Lemon and cayenne—a combo sure to clear out those sinuses!

·         Peanut-butter and jelly burgers—yes, you read that correctly! Check one out at Wells Brothers Bar and Grill (formerly known as Monk’s)!

Then we have music (genres, artists, songs)! You’ll see:

·         “Cruise” (remix) Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly

·         “Good Time” Paris Hilton ft. Lil Wayne (okay, but really. Who told her this was okay to do?)

·         Maroon 5 and Alicia Keys at the Grammys—we were skeptical, too!

·         “I Knew You Were Trouble” by Taylor Swift and…well, we’re not really sure what she did here, but it was still a chart topper! 

·         “Scream and Shout” by Will.I.Am ft. Britney Spears (even my grandma likes this one!)

·         Miley Cyrus and Teddy Bears…just kidding! This one definitely did NOT work.

Fashion Trends:

·         Bikinis and high heels (we all know you’ve tried this in the mirror at least once!)

·         Combat boots and dresses

·         Ballerina buns on the runway

·         High-waisted denim…probably should not have made a comeback—but it did in a BIG way

·         Print on print

·         Silver and gold—because two-tone is SO in!

·         Army pants and flip-flops (Anyone? Anyone?)

·         Fuzzy/textured nail polish

·         Blue mascara…because Lizzie McGuire pulled it off!

Dynamic Duos: couples, friends, and more:

·         Beauty and the Beast (tale as old as time, right?)

·         Kim and Kanye

·         Hugh Hefner and his Bunnies

·         Snooki and Jwoww—just look at their height difference!

·         Danny and Sandy…summer lovin’ at its best

·         Black Eyed Peas (who can we thank for putting them together?!)

·         Paula Abdul, Simon Cowell, and Randy Jackson, but don’t forget Ryan Seacrest!

·         Glinda and Elphaba (the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West TOTALLY defy gravity and all other odds!)

There are so many strange combinations out there (you probably came up with a few more while reading through these). Maybe they shouldn’t work, but they do!

And, while people insist that overcoming differences will bring people closer together, we strongly disagree (just look where we are). Rather than brush aside your differences, embrace them! Learn and grow from each other. Don’t just write people off because you don’t share identical interests. Try to experience new things together, because those will be the memories that you have in common.

Something we have learned together is that friendship is about being there for each other—even when it doesn’t make perfect sense.

Elana Pollack, of Vero Beach, FL,  is currently a junior at Florida State University studying English; Editing, Writing, and Media.  While she loves this field, her dream job is to manage a performing arts center.  Elana has a younger brother and sister whom she adores.  Since graduating high school, she has spent every summer working at a camp in North Carolina.  She has seen every Gilmore Girls episode at least three time and still watches every re-run.
Kaitlyn Hatten is curently a junior at Florida State University majoring in Family and Child Sciences/ Child Development. She recently started taking yoga classes but still enjoys teaching herself music video choreography in her bedroom. She idolizes pop artist Demi Lovato and strives to be her (or her best friend) one day. Some may consider her a "crazy cat lady" but it's really all animals that bring joy to her life. If she was filmed on a daily basis and had her life turned into a television show, it would have a little bit of comedy, romance, action... actually, no action, just comedy. Overall, she's just a goof-ball with a big heart!
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."