Films have the power to leave lasting impressions on us. They have the power to make us escape reality for a little bit, and get lost in watching someone else’s life. They have the power to make us laugh or cry (depending on the film). They also have the power to make us reflect on our own lives. But above all, they can be vehicles for communicating important life lessons. Films essentially have the power to change lives.

Here are just a few of my favorite films and important quotes every Collegiette should try to live their life by.

Life Lesson Number 1: Learn to Love Yourself

“The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you that you love, well, that’s just fabulous.” – Sex and the City

“Only if you find peace within yourself will you find true connection with others.” – Before Sunrise

Source: Amazon, IMDb

Ultimately, you are the only one that can make yourself happy. You have to love yourself first and foremost, before letting someone else in. In other words, you cannot wait for someone else to complete you.

Life Lesson Number 2: Enjoy Life

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

“If you stay positive, you have a shot at a silver lining.” – Silver Linings Playbook

Source: Roger Ebert, IMP Awards

Life is too short, so start making the most out of it. Enjoy the little things life has to offer and remember that it is always better to keep a positive attitude rather than a negative one.

Life Lesson Number 3: Know Your Worth

“Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” – 10 Things I Hate About You

“We accept the love we think we deserve.” – The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Source: Movie Buzzers, Moviepostershop

Bottom line: set high standards for yourself, because you deserve the best!

Life Lesson Number 4: Sometimes One Needs Tough Love

“Everyone wants a short cut in life. My guidebook is real simple: you want to lose weight, stop eating fatty. You want to make money, work your ass off lazy. You want to be happy, find someone you like and never let him go.” – Friends with Benefits

“No, no I don’t think you want any help, you just want to have a little pity party. I think Annie wants a little pity party. You’re an asshole Annie, you’re an asshole, I’m life, is life bothering you Annie? I’m life Annie, I’m life Annie, is life bothering you? Fight back for your life. You better learn to fight for your life. I’m life and I’m going to bite you in the ass. It’s not me, I’m your life. I’m trying to get you to fight for your shitty life. And you won’t do it, you just won’t do it. Stop slapping yourself, I’m your life Annie, I’m your shitty life.” – Bridesmaids

Source: IMP Awards, Moviepostershop

Anna Iturra is a senior at Florida State University studying Media/Communication Studies. She loves reading celebrity autobiographies, eating out at local Tallahassee restaurants,  reading the latest edition of Glamour and watching movies for three dollars at the Movies 8 theater. She can't live without coffee, wine or Netflix (currently addicted to Lost). She aspires to be like Mindy Kaling and she hopes to one day live in London.
Her Campus at Florida State University.