kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

More OLs and Less OLOs: A Profile on Giovani Castro

Orientation leaders are the first faces many of us saw here at FSU, and there’s a reason for that. Orientation leaders, or OLs for short, are students who exemplify the best of what FSU has to offer. They’re students who are academically and personally succeeding in college and in their new role, showing new FSU students how to do the same. Giovani Castro, Gio to his friends, is one of those OLs who is eager to help integrate new students into college life here at FSU. I sat down with him to pick his brain about why he became an OL and what motivates him to take on the grueling task of walking freshmen around all summer in those striped shirts and khaki shorts.

Her Campus (HC): So Gio, I’ll start off simple. Why FSU?

Giovani Castro (GC): I chose FSU because it was always my in-state dream school. When I applied I didn’t know or feel like I was going to get into the school. When I did get in through the C.A.R.E program I was ecstatic and couldn’t say no to the offer.

HC: Why was the C.A.R.E program a deal closer for you?

GC: C.A.R.E was important because it allowed me to get more connected on campus, and it has helped me in ways that allowed me to be the first in my family to attend a four-year university.

HC: Congrats on that! What did you decide as your major when you got here?

GC: I am double majoring in Media/Communication Studies and Editing, Writing & Media.

HC: What do you love most about E.W.M. and Communications?

GC: What I love about these majors is that they kind of complement each other, so what one lacks the other has. It’s a lot of writing and reading, but I’ve enjoyed both very much.

HC: Changing the subject from school to extracurriculars, what inspired you to become an orientation leader?

GC: What inspired me to be an OL was really just giving back to the FSU community. After seeing what the OL process looks like, I realized that it’s so much more. You just gain so much out of this experience including 43 friends, and like I never thought I’d be in love with the experience the way I am now.

HC: Why did you feel the need to give back to FSU?

GC: FSU has given me a lot of opportunities and mentors. I definitely feel like OLs make such a large impact on their students, and that’s exactly what I intend to do.

HC: So what has that process looked like for you, and how difficult has it been?

GC: The process definitely isn’t easy. A lot of people apply and only 40 people get selected. As nerve-racking as it was, it was worth every effort.

HC: Can you walk us through the different steps it took to get selected?

GC: So to become an OL after successfully submitting your application you go through a group interview process, which can be pretty daunting. From there they select people to move forward to an individual interview and from there you are either one of the 40 selected, an alternate or not selected at all.

HC: 
What was your biggest fear about the process?

GC: Originally my biggest fear was “how the heck am I going to be friends with these individuals”?

HC: What about now? Are you still worried about getting along with everyone?

GC: Now I feel like my biggest fear is orientation itself. It’s a pretty big task to make sure that your students are satisfied with FSU, but at the same time I’m so excited for the opportunity, and I can’t wait to meet my students!

HC: Any idea how you’re going to handle all their concerns about college life here at FSU?

GC: I believe that answering truthfully about my experiences can help with students concerns.

HC: So, what is going on now that there are no orientations going on?

GC: Now basically we (all 40 orientation leaders) are just starting to get to know each other and create these bonds/friendships. We have Southern Regional Orientation Workshop practice for the S.R.O.W conference in March twice a week. And we have a weekly class in which we learn about ourselves and our leadership styles.

HC: How is that going? Do y’all clash at all or is everyone just excited for the things to come?

GC: Preparations for everything are going fantastic. Everyone gets excited when we get together, and it’s a refreshing way to start the morning.

HC: Finally, what’s the biggest reward of the OL process so far?

GC: The experience just started but what makes me so excited is just getting to know my team more and learning about myself!

All images are courtesy of Giovani Castro.

Her Campus at Florida State University.