The ‘Melancholy’ Weeknd is Back

Canadian artist Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, otherwise referred to by his stage name The Weeknd, gifted his fans with six new tracks for his EP dubbed “My Dear Melancholy,” approaching the late hours of Thursday, March 29. While The Weeknd gave us some hints of fresh content on social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram a few days prior to the release, releasing recording studio footage and an iMessage reading “should we drop Friday?” The EP came as an early and pleasant surprise – a concept we are not used to seeing in the music industry.

Courtesy: Gidilag.com

The Weeknd released his full Starboy album on Nov. 25, 2016, which was composed of some of his more well-known songs such as “Starboy,” “I Feel It Coming” and “Sidewalks” and features Daft Punk, Lana Del Rey, Future and Kendrick Lamar. This album strayed from his traditionally solemn and somber R&B sound and instead gave listeners a pop and electronic side of him. Newly introduced fans were intrigued and favorable toward the album, but his older, loyal fans (myself included) were mildly disappointed. A significant portion of his musical appeal, in my opinion at least, is his impeccable ability to carry such an addictive sadness throughout his music, telling honest and relatable stories of lust and heartbreak. Starboy was bittersweet – while it represented an emotional revival in The Weeknd’s life and tapped into a vivacious alter ego known as “Starboy” itself, the tracks lost what got fans hooked years ago with his sorrowful albums Trilogy of 2012 and Kissland of 2013, and even Beauty Behind the Madness of 2015. After two tracks “Pray For Me” and “Curve” from the Black Panther album, My Dear Melancholy brings us right back.

Courtesy: Daily Bruin

Courtesy: Tidal

Courtesy: Genius

“Call Out My Name,” “Try Me,” “Wasted Times,” “I Was Never There,” “Hurt You” and “Privilege” are all the songs that comprise My Dear Melancholy, giving us the morose nostalgia we have been longing for since his very first debut albums. While they all have their own individual sound, their general tones are relatively homogenous as to provide smooth and harmonious transitions. The Weeknd’s lyrics provide a glimpse, of what I imagine, into his former love life with artist and actress Selena Gomez, and the pain and struggle that accompanied it. Some internet platforms even suggest that some of the songs detail his relationship with Bella Hadid from before Gomez. 

A distinction I picked up from several of these tracks is a noticeable repetition of the sounds and lyrics, as well as rhythms and harmonies similar to those in former tracks “Die For You” from Starboy and “Angel” from Beauty Behind The Madness. “Wasted Times” maintains its R&B qualities while providing just enough of a refreshing upbeat background to the gloomy EP. 

Perhaps it is a distasteful form of satisfaction to see one of your favorite artists lovesick and revisiting his melancholy state, but Abel has proven to make the most out of unfavorable circumstances and using music as his emotional outlet. I think I speak for all of his fans when I say that we are all already eagerly anticipating his full album and tour release dates.

Her Campus at Florida State University.