Meet Jennings Lawton DePriest: Future Political Powerhouse and Dapper Gentleman

Name: Jennings Lawton DePriest

Year: Junior

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Economics

Her Campus (HC): Okay to start things off Jennings, where are you from?

Jennings DePriest (JD): I am from the sprawling metropolis of Polk County!

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

JD: Outgoing, intellectual, and eclectic.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

JD: Skydiving, reading, politics and really nice clothes. I might also have a thing for singing along with musicals in the car, even though I’m really bad at it. The Last Five Years is a personal favorite.

HC: What is your favorite food?

JD: Barbecue. I’m a southern boy at heart so nothing beats a good rack of ribs and a big glass of sweet tea.

HC: Do you work and if so, where?

JD: I work Political Operations for the Florida Chamber of Commerce. I am also an enlisted member of the Florida Army National Guard.

HC: Where do you see yourself in eight years?

JD: In eight years, I’ll be 28 years old so hopefully I will be lobbying and consulting on state legislature campaigns while flying for a National Guard aviation unit on the weekends.

HC: What is your favorite TV show?

JD: House of Cards.

HC: Ideal Date?

JD: Well I’m a little bit of a foodie so I’m a sucker for nice restaurants. An exceptional restaurant with live music, like a jazz quartet, followed by a nice walk with my date where we can just talk and discuss life, the universe and everything.

HC: Well since you are such a food enthusiast, what is your favorite restaurant in Tallahassee?

JD: I absolutely love 101. I go there on an alarmingly regular basis, but Masa has to take the cake.

HC: Who is your biggest inspiration in life?

JD: I’m going to have to go with my dad. He is really hardworking and I’ve learned a lot from him. He’s driven—he takes what he wants and doesn’t make excuses or apologies.

HC: Okay Jennings, last question. What are three qualities that you look for in a woman?

JD: Intellectual. I like a woman who is smarter than me. They have to like books and they have to be driven and passionate about what they do. Not to sound cheesy, but in reference to my favorite TV show, I’m looking for my Claire Underwood. 

California native, Kaylah Jackson is currently a senior at Florida State University where she is majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. Her passion for sports, women's health and social issues coupled with her love for writing inspires her to pursue a career in television journalism. Make sure to keep an eye out for her on a national news network in the coming years! When she isn't brainstorming for her next story idea, Kaylah enjoys working out, binge watching The Office and attempting to get her friends to incorporate kale and avocado into their daily source of nutrition.
Her Campus at Florida State University.