Meet Brianna Calderon-Roman: Your Campus Celeb and FSU’s AcaBelle

Hometown:

Born in Kissimmee, FL. I moved to Orlando for high school. My family still lives in Orlando.

Major(s):

Double major — international affairs and women’s studies with a minor in French.

Relationship status:

Taken!

Her Campus (HC): What is your favorite thing about being a Seminole?

Brianna Calderon-Roman (BCR): There [are] a few things! First off, we have one of the most beautiful campuses I’ve ever seen. I came to FSU to visit a friend during my first semester of college in Orlando, and immediately transferred, just because I thought it was so beautiful here. I also love that Florida State has so many resources to take care of its students. I feel that FSU actually cares about its students as people, and if you need help, all you have to do is reach out and ask for it. Over the past four years, Florida State has become my home.

HC: What organizations are you involved with on campus?

BCR: This past year I was Co-President of Students for a Democratic Society, which was such an amazing experience. Activism and social change [are] very important to me, and being a part of the progressive community has played a huge role in my college career.

I’ve also been a member of AcaBelles since 2011. AcaBelles means the world to me. All of these girls are my sisters. I have 17 best friends! I couldn’t ask for anything more than to spend my time making music with the people [who’ve] been there for me during the best and toughest times of my life. They’ve seen me through all the ways I’ve changed through college and we’ve watched each other grow up. I met my best friend and now roommate in AcaBelles. I don’t know what I’m going to do after it’s over!  

HC: How has college shaped you into the person you are today?

BCR: I went through a LOT of different stages of life during college and I can honestly say I’m a COMPLETELY different person than who I was my freshman year. It definitely wasn’t all easy, but the rougher spots helped me figure out who I was. I learned how to make good friends, how to take care of  myself, and most of all how to love and appreciate myself. I think that’s all a part of growing up, though. Going to a new place and meeting new people will always change your life.

HC: What is your favorite AcaBelle moment? Any funny stories or memories to share?

BCR: Oh my God, trying to pin down a favorite AcaBelles moment is so tough. We travel a lot for competition and tour, so spending anywhere from 2 to 17 hours in a car with a bunch of girls is always interesting. They’re going to kill me for this, but I’ll go ahead and let you in on it. AcaBelles are serious about food. I’m talking ravenous, especially after we’ve been traveling for so long. Two years ago, we competed at quarterfinals. We had gone straight there and had been rehearsing for a few hours and none of us had eaten, so we were starving. It was a couple hours before competition and we were in our dressing room (which was actually just a locker room, which makes it even greater) and the boyfriend of our music director brought us some food: a whole rotisserie chicken and a vegetable platter. However, he forgot to bring silverware. I’m a vegetarian, so I started picking at the vegetable platter, when I turn around and see 10 girls FIGHTING over this rotisserie chicken, tearing into it with their bare hands. It was the most disturbing/hilarious thing I’ve ever seen. Everyone was in a much better mood afterwards though…

HC:  What do you plan on doing after graduation?

BCR: I want to go to grad school for linguistics. I’m not entirely sure where, but it’ll be somewhere west.

HC:  What is your dream job?

BCR: Well, I don’t know specifics, but  I want to be a linguist/translator in either a government position or an international organization. Anything that involves diplomacy, traveling, and the power to change some of the messed up things going on in this world.

HC:  Who are your role models?

BCR: I have to be cliché and say my mother. She has worked her entire life, raised two kids, and now she attends two universities (yes, at the same time), and is about to graduate as a registered nurse. She works incredibly hard and gave me someone real to look up to.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush and why?

BCR: Demi Lovato, hands down. Not only is she gorgeous, but she’s so quirky, smart, and strong. She has overcome child abuse, depression, and an eating disorder, all while managing to stay graceful in the public eye. She also has an amazing set of pipes. I went to see her with my best friend in February and it was amazing. She’s probably the only person in the world that can rock a pair of leather pants and D.A.R.E. shirt.

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Her Campus at Florida State University.