Marliese DeMauro: American Marketing Association President with Big Dreams

Name: Marliese DeMauro

Year: Senior

Hometown: Key West, Florida

Major: Marketing, Media Communication Studies dual degree 

*A dual degree is actually two separate degrees: one is a B.S., and the other is a B.A. You need 150 credits, instead of 120 to graduate.

Relationship Status: Single

Photo By: Annie Grafe

Her Campus (HC): What made you decide to pursue a dual degree?

Marliese DeMauro (MD): Media Communication Studies was my original major. I have always been interested in the media world—I would do the morning announcements on TV in elementary school. With further exploration through my classes, I realized I really enjoyed the advertising and marketing side. As I entered, college with previous credits from high school, I was already planning on double majoring. Upon speaking to my dad, I was encouraged to get a business degree, leading me to select Marketing as my second major.

HC: What are your plans upon graduation?

MD: My initial plan was to attend graduate school and get my master’s in Integrated Marketing Communications, but after talking to several admissions officers and company recruiters, I have decided to start working in the industry upon graduation.

HC: What extra curricular activities are you involved in on campus?

MD: I am an active member of the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority. I am also a member of AMA, the Ad Club and the National Society of Leadership and Success. I am also currently working towards membership into the Garnet and Gold society.

HC: What exactly is AMA?

MD: AMA stands for the American Marketing Association, which is an international organization consisting of over 30,000 members who work, teach and study in the field of marketing across the globe. We are one of over 350 affiliated collegiate chapters with 10,000 student members! Being a member gives you the opportunity to meet mentors, find internships, and network with professional marketers in virtually every industry. If you are working in a job that falls under the broad category of marketing, there is a large chance your boss or fellow co-worker is a member. AMA is your doorway to a successful career in marketing.

HC: What helped gear you to decide to join AMA?

MD: AMA was one of the organizations I joined where I didn’t know anyone or even anything about it. I knew I wanted to add a professional association to my resume, but I quickly learned AMA was so much more than that. After going to my first meeting, I was impressed with all the different resources and involvement opportunities AMA provided. It wasn’t just a typical club that has a different company present at every meeting. There are many ways you can become more involved and gain valuable experience through AMA: working on the Case Competition, participating in our Shadow Program, joining Seminole Creative (our exclusive marketing projects team), and serving on one of our committees. Besides our bi-monthly meetings, we host local corporate tours and social events throughout the year. We also attend the International Collegiate Conference every March in New Orleans.

HC: What position do you hold within AMA?

MD: I currently serve as the President for AMA.

HC: What made you decide to want to hold this position of presidency?

MD: When I started college, there were a few things I knew I wanted to accomplish in my time here. In high school, I held several leadership positions, so it was only natural that becoming president of a college organization was one of my goals.

HC: Do you enjoy the being President of AMA?

MD: I absolutely love it! It is both challenging and rewarding. Prior to being President, I was the Vice President of Recruitment. When it came time to select the new executive board for the following year, it became a “now or never” moment for me. Our previous President, Alexandra Abed, was someone I looked up to and admired for her work ethic and leadership capabilities (it’s no wonder she now works at Google). I was nervous knowing I had such big shoes to fill, but I could not be happier with myself for taking advantage of the opportunity.

HC: Do you feel that this position within AMA has helped better your career here at FSU?

MD: Without a doubt. I’ve held numerous positions across campus, but none have helped me grow more as an individual as this one has. I have a lot of contact with different companies and industry specialists, so I have gotten very used to communication and presenting myself in a professional manner. I have also expanded my network immensely through this position. As students, we hear over and over again how important it is to network. I’ve built relationships with so many different students, recruiters and other campus leaders that I would have never met without my involvement within AMA.

HC: On a lighter note, as I always ask, what is your favorite quote?

MD: My favorite quote is by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It sums up this unsure, yet very exciting time in my life: “I’m not sure what I’ll do, but—well, I want to go places and see people. I want my mind to grow. I want to live where things happen on a big scale.”

Senior at the beautiful Florida State University. Creative writing major, entrepreneurship minor. Health enthusiast. Rap music aficionado. Find me (on my cheat days) at Yogurt Mountain rapping Migos.
Her Campus at Florida State University.