Luisa Escobar: Saving the World One Animal at a Time

Name: Luisa Escobar

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Orlando, Florida

Major: Editing, Writing and Media and Psychology

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Photo By: Nicholas Kielbasa

Her Campus (HC): Are you involved with any activities at Florida State?

Luisa Escobar (LE): I am a sister of Chi Omega and a sophomore class council member at large.

HC: What is your dream job? I don’t mean what’s the most realistic job you could have, just if you could have any job in the world what would it be?

LE: If I could have any job in the world, legitimately doing anything, it would probably be playing with dogs and cats all day. Taking care of different animals and maybe riding horses. Raising cute little cows. I don’t know. Just probably interacting with a bunch of different animals.

HC: So is that actually what you want to do, in the future?

LE: No, I mean, that passion for animals is what I sort of want to do. I want to be an environmental lawyer or a corporate lawyer for an environmental agency. So I just want to fight for animal rights and environmental regulations.

HC: How did you know that was what you wanted to do?

LE: Ever since I was really young, about seven years old, I always used to say I wanted to be a judge so I could decide animal cases. I would watch court cases and court shows on Animal Planet. Or I’d watch police cases on Animal Planet where people would do something bad towards animals and be put on trial. So, even from a young age I saw animal rights as an issue that was important to me.

HC: If you could envision yourself in 10 years, what would the future include for you?

LE: It would include a generally healthy, happy life. Perhaps I’d be married. You know that’d be cool. I don’t think I would want kids by then. I’d be married and focused on my career and maybe have a law firm. I’d want a stable life financially and I’d like to travel and see the world and do what I can.

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

LE: Believe it or not I like to work. I like having a job. I’ve always had a job since I was 15. This past fall semester was the first time I didn’t have a job and I kind of freaked out. I always get antsy so I like to be busy. I like having a lot on my plate to balance my life.

HC: Going back to your dream job: Is working with animals what you’re really passionate about?

LE: Yeah, I’m really passionate about animals. And even now with raising awareness of a lot of issues that revolve around animals. Animal testing in the cosmetic industry, even scientific testing, and the conditions in slaughter houses. I know not everyone can be a vegetarian, but just being aware of the practices is good. It’s something a lot of people think they’re aware of, but they’re not.

HC: What do you think people could do to help animals in these situations?

LE: I think just being aware really helps. People don’t realize how much that little logo with a bunny and a heart means. They’re just like “Oh, cool this is cruelty-free,” but to thousands of animals, that’s their lives. Picking something that’s cruelty-free can make a big difference.

HC: Aside from what you’ve said, what are three things people wouldn’t really know about you when they meet you?

LE: I’m a crazy animal lady, especially a crazy cat lady. I love cats. Also people sometimes don’t know I’m Hispanic or was born in Colombia and that’s a big part of my background. People might not pick up on that when they first meet me. And, I know when people first meet me they think I’m big on having a big group of friends. In actuality I really like that small, close-knit group of friends that I can confide in. I’m kind of a closed off person when I’m not with people I’m really close to.

FSU graduate student, born and raised in Japan, has an obsessive affinity with tea and cats. Spends her free time reading magazines in her collage-plastered room or ranting about feminism and existentialism to peers. Perhaps in the future Megan will be an editor at a magazine, or something equally as cool and dramatic. Check out her website at meganmmcclain.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.