The Lonely Island Comes to FSU

On Thursday, April 27 The Lonely Island, of Saturday Night Live fame, will be gracing FSU’s campus with their magnificence and hilarity. The trio is stopping at Florida State to promote their new movie Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, which is set to hit regular theatres on June 3. Florida State students with a valid ID have the amazing opportunity to be one of the first audiences to see the film. Students also have the chance to participate in a Lonely Island party at Club Downunder (with the possibility of a meet-and-greet with The Lonely Island).

Courtesy: Billboard

The Lonely Island is made up of Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer Jorma Taccone. The group met in junior high and then formed their now famous comedy/musical group after college. Following a recommendation from Jimmy Fallon, the trio was hired by Lorne Michaels (creator of Saturday Night Live) in 2005 to write for SNL. Samberg was hired to be a featured player, as well. The group collaborated on their first film Hot Rod in 2006 and one of their most famous skits, entitled “I’m on a Boat” reached the number one spot on Youtube & iTunes in 2009 and was also nominated for a 52nd Grammy Award.

The trio’s newest project, a film entitled Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping will star all three members plus a whole host of comic talent, including: Bill Hader, Sarah Silverman and Will Arnett. The film has been made in a mockumentary style, a style characteristic of popular television comedies The Office  and Parks and Recreation. The story follows superstar Conner 4 Real, portrayed by Andy Samberg.  When the popstar’s album tanks, he decides to get his old boy band back together to save his career.

Besides the Lonely Island, Popstar has also been produced by a superstar of comedy: Judd Apatow, who has graced our televisions and movie screens alike with Freaks and Geeks, The Forty Year Old Virgin and most recently, Amy Schumer’s hilarious comedy Trainwreck.

The screening event will be at the Student Life Cinema and will begin at 7:30. The Lonely Island will be introducing the film so make sure to line up early for the show, buy some popcorn and get ready to laugh your a** off. You can check out the official movie trailer here.

There will also be a pre-party will be at Club Downunder from 5:00 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. There will be a DJ and free pizza (!) so bring your FSU ID and head down for that event before you go see the movie because you could win a chance to meet the Lonely Island up-close-and-personal for a meet-and-greet session. The event is sure to draw a huge crowd so get to Club Downunder as early as possible to secure your spot.

Courtesy: Comingsoon.net

Her Campus FSU Staff Writer Junior // Creative Writing & Communications Travel/Tea/Theatre Enthusiast Follow me @ShutUpSkyler
Her Campus at Florida State University.