Killer Cosmetics That Aren’t Killing Animals

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Beauty Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we tackle everything from the best beauty brands to follow to the much-debated brazilian. Trust us, you don’t want to miss this.

When you wake up in the morning and go through your beauty routine you probably use a certain face wash, moisturizer, makeup and hairspray. Unfortunately, the U.S. has not made any advancements in banning animal testing of cosmetic and household products, so chances are, some of the things you’re using daily have been tested safe –– at the expense of voiceless animals. However, this article is not designed to discourage you or guilt-trip you, but to make you feel empowered and help you embrace making a change. So, let’s go through the daily routine!

Courtesy: Occupy

1. Face Wash

When selecting a face wash, one may be flustered by the seemingly limitless options available. One way to narrow down options is to start selecting brands that use cruelty-free testing practices. Brands to use include:

Almay

Nivea

Philosophy

The Body Shop

Burt’s Bees

Clinique

Yes to Carrots

Revlon

Avon

Physicians Formula

Lush

These are some of the biggest and most common brands that are committed to not testing on animals, but there are several other options as well.  

The U.S. recently banned microbeads after conducting years of research that proved that these plastic exfoliants are harming aquatic habitats. Products that use microbeads are still on the self until supply runs out, so use alternatives such as salt, sugar and charcoal scrubs for natural, guilt-free exfoliation.

2. Moisturizer

Face wash and moisturizer are typically produced by the same name brands, so looking out for the same products listed in “Face Wash” should provide you with a variety of options. However, coconut oil has proven to work marvelously as a moisturizer for skin and hair. A jar of coconut oil can cost you between $5-10 and will last months, providing glowy, smooth skin and hair without leaving greasy residue. (TIP: you can also use a scoop of coconut oil for cooking and in smoothies for nutrients that are good for you, inside and out.)

Courtesy: Selfcarers

3. Makeup

Makeup can be expensive, and even drugstore brands begin to add up, so make your money count. I’m not suggesting that you toss out the $30 MAC concealer you’ve become accustomed to using –– after all, you’ve already bought it. Next time you need to stock up, however, be mindful of what brands value ethical manufacturing as much as you do. Here are some popular makeup brands that do not test on animals:

e.l.f.

NYX

Hard Candy

Physicians Formula

Wet n Wild

BH Cosmetics

Lush

Too Faced

Urban Decay

Tarte

LA Girl

IT Cosmetics

Prestige

Milani

Again, independent research can help you find an extensive number of brands that practice animal-free testing. PETA has a feature that will let you search types of products alphabetically to find the best products for you.

4. Hair Care

Hair care products ranging from shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, mousse, etc. are often tested for safety on animal fur and skin. Grotesque results often occur, even though scientists have discovered ways to use human skin cultures, which can harmlessly test the product with more accuracy. Popular brands to look out for that do not animal test include:

Aveda

Estee Lauder

Bare Organics

Bath & Body Works

Burts Bees

Conair

Dread Head

Giovanni Cosmetics

Hair Concepts

Lush

Manic Panic

Paul Mitchell

The Body Shop

Trader Joe’s Company

Courtesy: Ethify

When your budget allows, make the switch to more ethically manufactured cosmetics. The best way to protest brands that constantly test on animals regardless of research that has proven alternative methods cheaper, quicker and more effective, is to boycott their products. The European Union, Israel and India have all banned the sale of products tested on animals, further exemplifying that change is possible, and more efficient methods have come about. Be mindful that any product you apply on your skin may be available at the expense of torturous tests on animals. Starting your day with a guilt-free routine, knowing that you are an activist and giving a voice to the voiceless will make you look and feel better.

Her Campus at Florida State University.