Kalie’s Trend Report: Your Guide to Fall’s Most Fashionable Trends

Hello, fashion-forward Collegiettes! It’s me, Kalie, and I am back for yet another semester to give you all the fashion advice you need. As you may know, fashion Week has come and gone, and has left us with many new trends to worship. If you’re like me, you love learning about the latest runway trends, and welcoming them into your wardrobe with open arms each season. Here’s a list of my top 5 Fall/Winter must-haves that you NEED for your closet this season:

1.)   Patent Leather – This major shoe trend went through a severe fashion upgrade this season thanks to labels like Versace, Salvatore Ferragamo, and Burberry Prorsum. Leather skirts, pants, dresses, and shoes are all the rage this season. Looking to incorporate the leather trend into your wardrobe? Try this Leather Look Skater Skirt from Asos. The detailed shape of the skirt makes it look like it came straight off the runway, but without the hefty price tag attached, of course.

2.)   Navy Blue – Emerald may be the color of the year, but navy blue is quickly taking over as the color of the season. Pair a single navy blue accessory, such as a clutch with your outfit for a stylish look. Feeling a little daring? Imitate Calvin Klein and Hérmes by wearing this fabulous color head-to-toe.

3.)   Pink Coats – Labels such as Chanel, Miu Miu and Rodarte had coats that graced the runway in soft, subtle colors. Light pinks were a huge hit – I mean, what girl wouldn’t want a pink coat? This Kate Spade New York “etta” wool coat, which can be found at Nordstroms, is sure to stop traffic with its bright pink hue (the bow detail at the top also gives the coat a bit of personality).

4.)   Winter White – Forget the “no white after labor day” nonsense, and start pairing together all the white pieces you have. Céline made a statement at their show with white knee-length skirts, loose white turtlenecks, and white clutches – and paired together at once. This trend seems to walk back into our closets each year, and it’s for a good reason.

5.)   Plaid – Admit it: we all have a little bit of Cher Horowitz (the queen of plaid) inside each and every one of us. The Clueless star knew what she was doing when she graced our TV screens in her matching yellow plaid skirt and jacket. This season, opt for a traditional plaid print or something more modern, like checks (many check prints can now be found in a wide assortment of colors). Saint Laurent put their own unique twist on this vintage trend by incorporating the plaid print into a variety of styles.

So if you want to look like you just stepped off the runway at New York Fashion Week, use this guide when you’re out shopping for your new, updated wardrobe for the season. By incorporating just one or two of these trends into your wardrobe, you are sure to be the most stylish Collegiette around. Happy shopping!

Kate Spade New York “etta” Coat

Asos “Look Leather Skater Skirt”

The Queen of Plaid, Cher Horowitz

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be! 
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."