John Wilcox Works to Help His Community and the Medical World

Name: John Wilcox

Year: Sophomore

Major: Exercise Science

Minor: Biology and Chemistry

Hometown: Rockledge, FL

Relationship Status: Single

Courtesy: John Wilcox

Her Campus (HC): What are you passionate about?

John Wilcox (JW): Going to medical school, the research I do on campus and my volunteer work. I’m heavily involved in undergraduate research here at FSU. I’m also in a scholarship program at the Center for Leadership and Social Change.

HC: Where do you volunteer?

JW: I’m in a program called Service Scholars and we have to do a certain amount of service work a semester and reflect on that service and the impact it has. I volunteer a lot at a couple organizations around here. One is called FocusFirst, which is basically a program that tests preschooler’s eyes for things like stigmatism or ocular dysfunction. It’s primarily done to make sure that preschoolers don’t get further behind or get misdiagnosed with developmental problems when they really just can’t see.

HC: Is it your goal to ultimately work with kids?

JW: Yes. I’m a type one diabetic so I really want to go into pediatric endocrinology. That is my dream job so obviously I have to go to medical school.

Courtesy: John Wilcox

HC: With all the work that you do, what keeps you motivated?

JW: Just wanting to help out people with similar conditions that I have, and that translates into my research. I’m currently involved in a Directed Individual Study (DIS) program here at FSU that focuses on childhood type one diabetes psychology. I’m also going to be in another DIS, next semester, working with type one diabetes.

HC: You seem very focused and know exactly what you want to do.

JW: Yes. I went to Yale this summer in New Haven and I worked with type one diabetes research there and that was a great experience.

Courtesy: John Wilcox

HC: Do you even have leisure time with everything that you do?

JW: No. I’m trying to keep my 4.0 for as long as I can, but I am having a lot of fun anyway and everything I do is very rewarding.

HC: What’s something you can’t live without?

JW: My friends. I don’t really have that much family so I consider my friends an extension of my family. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.