It’s Time to Get Hyped About ‘Star Wars’ Again

Get ready, because everything’s coming up Star Wars. We’re just a few weeks out from the latest movie. Over the next couple of years, we can expect new movies, merchandise, even a real-life galaxy to explore! Whether you’re an aspiring Jedi or a casual fan of the movies, there’s something for everyone.

A galaxy far, far away is coming to us…

The most exciting update in all of Star Wars history, Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando is building both a Star Wars land called “Galaxy’s Edge” at Hollywood Studios park and an accompanying Star Wars hotel. This means new restaurants (let’s hope for the Cantina bar complete with in-house alien band) and in-park shopping. Disney filed a patent for updated lightsaber technology earlier this year, so fingers crossed we get access to the most elegant weapon in the galaxy instead of stackable plastic rings for once (Obi-Wan would literally be ashamed). The hotel is expected to be totally in-character, even featuring staff trained to act as if they’re in the Star Wars universe.

But the most talked-about new addition to The Happiest Place on Earth? A ride where guests will get to channel their inner Han Solo and pilot the Millennium Falcon. She may be just a “piece of junk,” but the attraction based on the spaceship is promised to be a technological marvel. The first test footage was recently obtained last week, and it looks stellar. Disney is trying their hardest to keep everything about “Galaxy’s Edge” a secret until its official 2019 opening, but start saving up for tickets now. If this Google Earth view of the park says anything, it’s that “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away” may be a lot closer than we could have ever imagined.

Lights, Camera, Solo

In traditional Disney fashion, we don’t know much about the plot of Solo: A Star Wars Story. But we do have a new trailer to keep us held until its release. In it, we catch an extended look at Alden Ehrenreich’s portrayal of the beloved rebel (I’m willing to give it a chance), and perhaps even more anticipated, Donald Glover’s take on Lando Calrissian. Plus, we have a couple funny clips of the galaxy’s favorite, Chewbacca (lookin’ good Chewy).

There’s now an official runtime for the movie: 135 minutes. Hopefully, that’s long enough to fill our hearts with Star Wars goodness, as a recent interview with Mark Hamill regarding any Luke Skywalker appearances in future movies brings sad news. Hamill told ABC News he “doesn’t care” if he returns, citing the death of legendary Carrie Fisher as the reason he can’t enjoy filming anymore. He said, “You just can’t get the band back together the way you wanted it to be,” (brb sobbing) and that he is “grateful that we had the time with her that we did.”

New merch!!!

If you’ve managed to dry your tears after the heartbreaking but understandable update from Mark Hamill, then here’s something to cheer you up: we’re getting a ton of new Star Wars merch. Now is your chance to snatch up realistic Donald Glover action figures and (my personal favorites) new FUNKO Pop figures alongside the slew of shirts, toys, and memorabilia that will surely be hitting the shelves in anticipation of the new movie. May the force be with all of our wallets.​

All gifs courtesy of Giphy

Her Campus at Florida State University.