How To Survive Finals Week: Florida State Edition

It’s here. The week that all college students dread but can’t avoid: finals week. Finals week can get the best of any student, whether this is your first exam worth 50% of your grade, or you’re a senior who just needs to pass. As any FSU student can tell you finals week, which begins this Monday, April 27th, can bring out the good, the bad and the just plain crazy.

So if you have back-to-back-exams, a huge final project, or all of the above, check out these helpful tips to get you through the week.

1. Before you settle down at Strozier Library for an all-nighter, it might be helpful to take care of the little things first. If you live in the dorms and need to pack up for summer, don’t wait until you’re supposed to be studying to start packing. Similarly, clean up your apartment before finals week so you aren’t tempted to procrastinate.

Do your laundry and run any errands ahead of time, so you won’t have to deal with the stress of trying to juggle more than one important thing at once.

2. Make sure you have everything you need beforehand. Stock up on energy drinks and snacks ahead of time, and make sure to double check the syllabus for any last-minute extra credit opportunities. Ask your professors questions in class this week so you aren’t stuck sending out that desperate, 5 AM-night-before-the-exam email to your class, begging for a study guide.

Also, don’t wait until the middle of finals week to try and book a study room at Strozier or Dirac. If you’re planning on meeting up with your classmates, book a study room in advance, and keep in mind that both libraries will be packed.

3. Don’t forget to eat! It might be easy to get boosts of energy from RedBull, but it’s important to keep your body and mind fueled by eating things like fruits and veggies. Think about bringing apple slices and cheese sticks to study sessions to keep you alert.

4. Ban Netflix. No, Seriously. We’ve all fallen victim to “just one episode,” and you need that time to study. Similarly, Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, and Tumblr all pose a dangerous temptation. Install a website blocker, like StayFocusd for Google Chrome, that allows you to block certain websites from being accessible for a set amount of time. And when finals week is over? You can unblock Netflix and reward yourself with the ultimate binge watching session.

5. Take a study break. Let’s face it, studying all day and all night is a total drag. And not only is it totally draining, it takes a huge toll on your body and mind. A study by St. Lawrence University found that students who consistently pulled all-nighters actually had lower GPA’s than those who didn’t cram the night before.

So instead of spending the night at Stroz, make sure that your study hours are balanced out by taking breaks to sleep, eat, and most importantly, to give your brain a break.

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.