How to Stay Sane During the Spring Semester

Every student comes back from winter break with a newfound enthusiasm and ready to kill spring semester. Unfortunately, once they get back in the swing of things, “killing it” seems like a far-fetched idea. It can become hard to stay sane as your homework load grows and your calendar becomes full. Even though mental health is often pushed to the back burner when life gets busy, making sure your mental health is on track can be one of the most productive things you can do this spring semester.

Courtesy: The Odyssey

Step 1: Sleep, but not too much

After a long day, getting in bed and never getting back out can be a great thought, but you want to make sure you’re not getting too much sleep.  The average adult needs seven hours of sleep a night. Sleeping more than one to two hours over that can make you feel as if you’re hung-over during the day.  Nick Stockton on Wired.com says, “When you sleep too much, you’re throwing off that biological clock, and it starts telling the cells a different story than what they’re actually experiencing, inducing a sense of fatigue.”

Naps are also great for your brain, but they should be limited to 90 minutes or else you could be at risk of falling into deep sleep. Waking from deep sleep is hard and will make you feel groggy and disoriented for at least 30 minutes afterwards.

Step 2: Journal

I know, I know, journals are so 6th grade, but they can be really beneficial for any age. Journaling gives you the ability to let off steam, get drama off your chest, and record your accomplishments. So, go buy a cute journal and some fun pens, and write about how your outfit was on point today.

Step 3: Spend Time with Friends

Spending time with friends can be hard to do when you’re too busy, but a true friend will go to Strozier with you even if they don’t have homework to do. Human interaction is a great way to help lighten up busy schedules. It’s always important to not let the stress keep you from having a good laugh with friends.

Step 4: Accept Who You Are

There is always one person doing the most. They play five sports, take nine classes, have three jobs and are involved in Greek life. It’s ok, not everyone can do that. It’s important to get involved, but don’t feel like you have to sign up for everything. Be realistic when you’re planning your spring semester and try not to bite off more than you can chew. It’s not about how much you can register for in one semester, it’s about how many things you can excel in. By being realistic, you’ll be able to manage yourself better and keep from becoming stressed out.

Step 5: Meditate

You don’t have to braid your hair or buy a yoga mat to meditate (but it won’t hurt to). Meditation is simply the act of quieting the mind. It’s about centering yourself. Meditation can be extremely beneficial when you’re stressing, but it can also be beneficial on a daily basis. Checking in with your mind and body can allow you to think rationally and be more productive.

Step 6: Ask for Help

We all make mistake and we all need help sometimes. Whether that is academic help or mental help, it’s ok to ask for it. Going to a tutor can sometimes feel like pulling teeth, but in the end, your GPA will thank you. The wonderful tutors at the ACE learning center in the William Johnston building will be happy to help you with any academic problems. When the stress becomes too much, the University Counseling Center in the Health and Wellness building have counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists ready to help you. You don’t have to make an appointment; you can simply walk in and start talking. 

The Ace Learning Center

Phone: (850) 645-9151

Email: tutor@fsu.edu

Location: Johnston Ground (WJB G051)

Monday-Thursday, 10:00am-10:00pm

Friday, 10:00am-5:00pm

Sunday, 5:00pm-10:00pm

University Counseling Center

250 Askew Student Life Building

942 Learning Way

Tallahassee, FL 32306-4175

Phone: (850) 644-TALK (8255)

Courtesy: Slope Media

Hi! My name is TyLeah and I am a freshman at Florida State University!
Her Campus at Florida State University.