How To Make Your Smoothie Like a Pro

Now that February is well underway, the whole ‘new year, new me’ sentiment might be running low. One easy way to shake up your lazy morning routine that normally consists of whatever is left over from last night’s pizza run or granola bars on the days that you’re feeling healthier is to make a smoothie. Smoothies from restaurants like Tropical Smoothie or Smoothie King may be delicious but they’re also full of sugar that defeats the whole purpose of trying to eat healthy. By making smoothies at home, not only are you saving on time and money but you know exactly what you’re putting in them. All the good and none of the bad!

The first step to making a smoothie is your liquid. Either 1 cup of water or milk will give the smoothie the right consistency so you’re not just drinking a solid. Add the liquid to your blender first because it will help the other ingredients blend better.

Next add your fruit. Most basic smoothies consist of blueberries and strawberries, but the benefit of making smoothies at home is that you can add whatever you want into it. Fruits that are softer like mango, raspberries or watermelon are best because they’ll blend easier. Fresh fruit is obviously always the best option but we don’t always have the time or energy to go grocery shopping every week. Frozen fruit can be high in sugar so make sure you check the labels carefully, but they’re still a great option.

You’ll want to add a base to give your smoothie a thicker consistency. Bananas, Greek yogurt and ice all work well. If you really want to give your smoothie that icier, restaurant style sensation then consider freezing your fruit the night before. Berries and bananas that were sliced and frozen the night before blend just as well and will save even more time in the morning.

To add extra nutrients to smoothies, top it off with some fun add-ins! Spinach is a great choice because once it’s blended together you can’t even taste it, but it still adds plenty of vitamin A to your day. Chia seeds, flax seeds and protein powder are all beneficial add ins that won’t even effect that taste but will make you feel better on the inside.

Smoothies are a fast option for anyone on the go in the morning or for someone who just hit the snooze button a few too many times. Blend and go and you’ve got a filling, nutrient dense breakfast that you can even take with you to class. Bonus tip: measure out a week’s worth of ingredients, throw them in individual baggies and freeze them. That way each morning when you need them, just grab them and blend and you’re good to go!

Elizabeth Dorwart is Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU. When she's not reading, writing, or editing articles, she enjoys trying new recipes from Pinterest or playing with her cats. Feel free to ask her any Taylor Swift trivia because she probably knows the answer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.