Well, here we are, about a week away from the semester being over (woo hoo!), and it’s no surprise that your stress level is at an all-time high. Somehow that paper that was assigned waaay back at the beginning of the semester has suddenly crept up on you, and it seems like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to accomplish all that’s on your plate. With finals rapidly approaching, many of us are feeling the pressure, and have temporarily moved our mailing address to the library. Contemplating pulling an all-nighter to ensure success on your impending assignments and exams? Check out these tips on how to make it a productive one. Best of luck, collegiettes!

Make Sure You Have A Study Plan

It’s easy to walk into the library with the sole intention of studying the night away. Actually getting anything accomplished? That’s the real challenge. With Starbucks constantly tempting you and the occasional loud library occupant (so annoying, am I right?) it’s a wonder how anyone can get any semblance of work done. When pulling an all-nighter, it’s essential that you have a plan to keep you on track! Studying flashcards, making a study guide, reviewing PowerPoint slides- we all have our go-to study style. Just make sure that you figure out what works for you ahead of time so you can jump right into your work. Although it’s easy to get distracted and procrastinate even more than you already have, keep in mind that you only have one night to get everything absorbed and/or accomplished, so get to it!  

Turn Off Any/All Distractions

We all know how enthralling social media can be, especially when we have something else we should actually be doing. Look at it this way ladies. Yes, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram- they’re staples within our daily routine and they definitely become way more entertaining when there are more pressing issues at hand. Stop re-scrolling through your Facebook feed, wasting time staring at the same old statuses. The sooner you get things accomplished, the sooner you can crawl into bed and call it a night (or should we say morning?)! Consider turning your phone off and blocking tempting sites in order to stay focused and productive.  Not only should you avoid social media distractions, you should also be weary of the distractions of study groups. We love our best friends, but when study time turns into social hour, we’ve got a bit of a problem…

Stay Healthy!

With the new arrival of Dunkin Donuts on campus in addition to the handfuls of Starbucks scattered around campus, it seems only right that coffee should be fueling our all-night studying escapades. However, a caffeine crash can turn cause your all-nighter to turn south. In order to keep your productivity running all night, keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water along with the occasional caffeinated beverage, and swapping the sugary treats for protein rich snacks. Make sure that before committing to an all-nighter you’ve committed to a sufficient nap! There’s nothing worse than heavy eyelids while you’re trying to cram. Feeling drowsy? Focus on stretching or taking a brisk walk to get your back in the zone. 

While it’s not entirely recommended to pull an all-nighter, sometimes it deems itself necessary! Make sure that once you’re done you allow yourself a little time to snooze in order to recuperate before class. Set an alarm, set another, and then have your roommate set one for you too, just to be safe. Let the promise of a well-deserved nap get you through the week! Happy studying, ladies!

Sarah Shellabarger is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in English - Editing, Writing, Media and minoring in Communications. This is her third semester as a HCFSU staff writer. When she's not drowning in assigned readings, Sarah enjoys attempting to get celebrities to follow her on Twitter, daily Dunkin Donuts trips, praising Stevie Nicks, and (unsuccesfully) begging her boyfriend to buy her a kitten. Sarah hopes to one day put her witty banter to good use by writing for a clever yet underappreciated TV show, and eventually becoming the next Tina Fey.    
Her Campus at Florida State University.