you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Build a Professional Wardrobe (on a College Budget)

Whether you’re gearing up for an office job or an internship, or even just preparing for an on-campus job fair or practice interview, chances are that you’ve taken a long look into the deepest depths of your closet and come to the conclusion that your high-waisted shorts and crop tops, despite being totally cute, don’t quite cut it for the business world. Navigating the difference between Business Professional and just plain stuffy can be not only confusing, but also a little budget breaking if you don’t know what to look for. As you make the transition from wearing norts every day to figuring out just what the heck ‘Business Casual’ means, use these tips to build a wardrobe worthy of Olivia Pope.

Source: hm.com

1. Instead of buying a full pantsuit, invest in some professional separates, like a great-fitting pair of black pants and a catchall blazer that you can throw on over a silk blouse or a dress. Not only is it not the 1980’s, but having versatile separates that you can mix and match will give your wardrobe more variety and flexibility.

2. Understand the difference between Business Professional, Business Casual, and just plain Casual. Different office environments will have different requirements, so it’s a good idea to email your future employer about the dress code policy before dropping cash on something you might not actually be able to wear. Business Professional is generally a pantsuit, or a skirt-and-jacket combination, while Business Casual is a more toned-down version of the above guidelines, allowing for more of your own unique style to shine through.

3. Stick to a more neutral palette, especially when buying basics like pencil skirts and silk blouses. You’ll be able to stretch the value of your new clothes and stay within what many employers consider the allowable color wheel. Believe it or not, some companies frown upon wearing bright colors like lime green or bright pink! It’s awful, but true!

Source: hm.com

4. You don’t need to wear heels every day. Chances are, you won’t be working in the offices from Mad Men, so you can stick to a cute pair of black closed-toe flats, or if you’re allowed, sandals. If you absolutely do need heels, don’t stress about getting the newest Louboutins. All you really need is one pair of sensible, beige or black 3- 4 inch heels to elevate your look from ‘Coliseum’ to ‘9-to-5’.

5. Strike a balance between Carrie Bradshaw and Office Drone. Just because the company you’re interning at requires you to follow certain guidelines, that doesn’t mean you can’t incorporate some of your own style. Add your own flair with cute accessories like simple jewelry, but don’t stray too far. While having a unique look is wonderful, you want to be known as the girl who works hard, not as the girl with the whack lipstick. 

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.