Style > Beauty

Her Picks: The Editors’ Guide to Fashion, Beauty, Music & More

Our editors here at Her Campus FSU have decided to create a bi-weekly column, Her Picks, sharing what we’re obsessed with at the moment. Every other week, our editors will let you in on their latest finds — whether it be a cool new beauty product, an interesting restaurant or a band they can’t get enough of. Here are a few of our editors’ picks this week: 

Mikaela McShane, Editor-in-Chief

1. Tallahassee Parks

I’ve been going hiking and trail running at a lot of the parks in Tallahassee and Georgia lately. My favorites so far are Tom Brown Park, Miccosukee Greenway and Phipps Park.

2. Jack Kerouac Books

I’ve been re-reading a lot of Jack Kerouac’s books this semester. His books always feature themes of travel and adventure, and I really like his stream of consciousness writing style. I recommend On the Road, Dharma Bums and Big Sur.

Ivanna Leitner, Public Relations Director

1. Jane the Virgin

I have been OBSESSING over the show Jane the Virgin. I can’t stop watching it! The best part? You can find the first season of it on Netflix! It’s such a funny and cute show. I promise you won’t be able to stop watching it, so block off some time during Thanksgiving!

2. Purpose by Justin Bieber

I have not stopped listening to Justin Bieber’s new album Purpose since it came out last week. It’s been on repeat in my room, in my shower, in my car and even at work. It’s SO good and the 15-year-old Bieber Fever I used to have has come back. You can listen to his album here!

Malory Hudson, Social Media Director

1. Love Stuff by Elle King

This album fuels my inner cool-girl, rebel soul. When I listen to this album, I imagine I’m a rad, tough, 26-year-old living in Memphis, smoking a pack of cigarettes a day while I juggle multiple men who don’t deserve me. Okay, not really. But this album is soooo good. It perfectly combines soulful blues and rock with a pop flare that I’m in love with. So find your edge and embrace this album because you will be inspired.

2.“The Comeback Kid” by John Mulaney

This is the ultimate cure to your end of the semester blues. This 1-hour comedy special is sheer brilliance and available for free on Netflix (double-whammy). John Mulaney has made being an awkward, lanky, Irish-Catholic kid cool, and as an awkward, lanky, Irish-Catholic kid myself, I could not be more grateful. From his anecdote about no longer being the alpha dog of his home to his tale of meeting Bill Clinton, this special is insightful, brilliant and full of joy. 

Kaylah Jackson, Events Director

1. Starbucks’ Caramel Apple Spice

It’s finally the holiday season and for some of us (like me) who don’t want to let go of the pumpkin spice latte in exchange for peppermint flavored anything, I would highly recommend the Caramel Apple Spice from Starbucks! It’s a great alternative for those who don’t like the caffeine aspect of a latte but still want something sweet! Made with apple juice, cinnamon, and topped with whipped cream and caramel drizzle, it’s the perfect drink for those chilly morning walks to class or a night cram session in the library.

2. The Switch by Emily King

Funny enough, my mother actually introduced me to Emily’s music and I listen to her newest album every night before bed! Since her debut album East Side Story released in 2007, she has opened for notable artists like Alicia Keys, Erykah Badu and John Legend. Also, she releases all of her singles as instrumentals on her YouTube channel, which is perfect for late night karaoke sessions! If you are into R&B music, her jazz melodies and soulful voice are what need to be in your headphones right now!

Amanda Burrows, Secretary

1. #TGIT

No more #TGIF! It’s all about #TGIT a.k.a. “Thank God It’s Thursday” because that’s the night that Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder air! It really makes me look forward to Thursday nights where I can chill out with a glass of wine and watch my favorite Shonda Rhimes shows. #Shondaland anyone?

2. IPSY

I just recently started receiving monthly bags of personalized makeup goodies from IPSY and so far I love it. For November, I got a beautiful taupe-brown nail polish, facial moisturizer, Smashbox mascara, blue eyeliner and a matte lip crayon that is very ’90s inspired. I was very impressed with the quality of the products, and I love how they take your skin type and favorite brands into consideration. Try it out using my referral code here

Taylor Dickey is a Sophomore at The Florida State University who is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Hospitality Management. She hopes to work in the Fashion and/or Entertainment industry one day as a Public Relations Manager for a designer, an Art Director for a brand, or a Fashion Event Planner. She is interested and well-versed in Marketing & Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Brand Management, and Graphic Design. Originally from Houston, Texas, Taylor loves fashion, baking, laughing, the beach, and doing anything creative. She dreams big, loves with all her heart, and has an obsession with Pinterest.
Her Campus at Florida State University.