Help Find a Cure for Childhood Cancer with St. Baldrick’s

One of the many reasons I love being a Seminole at Florida State is that time and time again I’ve seen how much passion we put into our endeavors. Whether it’s through our studies, extra-curricular organizations, research projects or anything in between, ‘Noles put forth a tremendous amount of effort into our goals.

Courtesy: St. Baldrick’s Foundation

One goal in particular that we are dedicated to is raising money for cancer research. Last year, Dance Marathon raised over $1.1 million for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, Shands Children’s Hospital and FSU College of Medicine! Relay for Life has a 2016 goal of raising $300,000 for the American Cancer Society. Finally, have you heard about St. Baldrick’s? 

Courtesy: St. Baldrick’s Foundation

St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a childhood cancer charity which funds research to help find cures for children with cancer. Every year around St. Patrick’s Day, St. Baldrick’s hosts head shaving events which raise money for their research endeavors. Family, friends, employers and employees alike come together to shave their heads in solidarity with children who typically lose their hair during cancer treatment. These head shaving events have taken place in all 50 U.S. states and in nearly thirty countries! St. Baldrick’s volunteers have shaved over 190,500 heads since the first St. Baldrick’s event in 2000, and have raised over $118 million for childhood cancer research.

Courtesy: St. Baldrick’s Foundation

Does it sound like something you want to become involved in? You’re in luck! FSU’s Mortar Board, our senior honor society, is hosting a St. Baldrick’s head shaving event the week after Spring Break on March 19 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Crenshaw Lanes! How can you help? Volunteers for the event and fundraisers are important assets to the cause, but shavees are in high demand! Shavees do just that—shave their heads. Licensed barbers will be at the event to cut your beautiful locks. Speaking of locks, if you aren’t quite ready to part with all of your hair for this amazing cause, you can donate to Locks of Love at the event instead! 

Courtesy: St. Baldrick’s Foundation

To sign up for the event, visit the Mortar Board fundraising and participation page. Here, you can help our FSU chapter reach its $10,000 goal, sign up to be a much needed shave, check out some of St. Baldrick’s honored kids, or simply check out the events progress!

So, all-in-all, what’s in store for you when you come to the event? Food from your favorite Tallahassee local restaurants will be provided for participants. A raffle for fun prizes will be held as well! But the best part of the event is when you get to watch your fellow Seminoles shave their heads in solidarity for our honored kids.

What are honored kids? They’re the inspiration behind the whole event and why St. Baldrick’s is helping fund childhood cancer research. This whole endeavor is to strive to help all kids be able to grow up and turn their dreams into realities. Check out some of Mortar Board’s honored kids below. 

Courtesy: St. Baldrick’s Foundation

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.