Getting Clear Skin is Easier Than You Think: 6 Things I Did to Clear Up My Skin

I think that we can all agree that clear skin is something we all want but not many of us have. Anyone who knew me back in high school could tell you that my forehead was full of pimples, always oily and somehow also dry. My first semester in college, my acne got worse, and I knew I had to do something, so I spent hours searching the web nonstop for months trying to find ways to get healthy, clear skin. After many trials and errors, I found 6 steps that have helped me obtain clear skin in a short amount of time, and I am sure that they, too, can help you.

1. Determine your skin type

Prior to researching about skincare, I had no idea that we all had different skin types. After watching YouTube videos from people with different skin types, I quickly realized that I had oily skin, which is acne prone. Knowing your skin type is important because different skin types require different forms of treatment.

Courtesy: notquitelondon

2. Drink water

I love water so I usually drink about a gallon a day (you DON’T have to do that). Water is very important because it flushes out any toxins that your body may be holding onto, it keeps you well hydrated throughout the day and removes any dirt that is on your skin. It is recommended that you drink half of your body weight in ounces.

Courtesy: Active

3. Exfoliate

I cannot stress this enough: exfoliating is IMPORTANT. It removes dead skin cells and increases blood circulation. This is what leads to you getting that healthy glowy skin you’ve always wanted. I use St. Ives Fresh Skin Invigorating Apricot Scrub, and I have nothing negative to say about it. Now you can’t go exfoliating every day; it is recommended that you exfoliate, at most, 2 days a week.

Courtesy: St. Ives

4. Eat Healthly

We have all heard the phrase ‘you really are what you eat’. Since our skin cells are always replacing the old with the new, it is important to consume micronutrients because they help with skin growth. I found that when I traded in junk food and greasy foods with much healthier choices like Kale with Tilapia, my skin cleared up fast.

Courtesy: Pinterest

5. Moisturize

I cannot stress this enough, MOISTURIZE! MOISTURIZE! MOISTURIZE! Moisturizing is very important. Moisturizing allows your face and body to be glowy and bright all day long. It’s very hydrating. When your skin lacks moisture, it can start to get dry and flaky. It also leaves your skin looking dull. So moisturize!

Courtesy: Allure

6. Get facials!

I own 5 different face masks, and I find that putting on a facial mask twice a week or even once a week really makes a difference. It leaves my skin feeling hydrated, removes any impurities that I may have and it shrinks my pores. When your pores a large, it is easier for oil and dirt to seep through which can lead to acne. Facial masks work wonders.

Courtesy: Inat

Achieving clearer skin has never been easier, and these 6 steps are sure to get you there.

A senior attending Florida State. Double majoring in English and French. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.