Gaby Galban: Living Bigger Than Yourself

Name: Gaby Galban

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business

Hometown: Miami, FL

A sister of Delta Delta Delta, Gaby Galban strives to radiate love and light wherever she goes. With such a deep and caring soul, she wants to be a part of something bigger than herself and make a change in others’ lives.

Her Campus (HC): You’re doing a volunteer trip to Manila in Philippines over the break. What made you want to be a part of something that could help change other people’s lives?

Gaby Galban (GG): Hmm, if I’m completely honest, there wasn’t really anything specific that sparked this outreach except for maybe a spiritual awakening. This summer, my sister and I did a semester in Orlando. School in the summer is obviously super laid back, so we had a lot of leisure to play with. We did a lot of going out, shopping, tanning, we went to the parks. We had the opportunity to do literally whatever we wanted and at some point, I realized I felt kind of selfish that we only focused on enjoying ourselves. Towards the end of the summer, I wasn’t satisfied with myself, if that makes sense. I felt a little empty or like my time was wasted. I can’t explain it, but taking care of myself wasn’t enough for me. When we moved back home to Miami, I felt different. I was bored with doing the same things I’ve always done, like walking around the mall with my friends or watching reality shows with my mom. Call me dramatic, but I craved purpose, like real purpose. I’ve always been a deep person with my own way of thinking, but this depth was extra intense. Naturally, I just started to get more involved with helping others in everyday life. I’ve always been a lover of love. I feel like I’m supposed to use that in this transition, so I’ve made my heart like the foundation of my soul. Just trying to bring peace, love and happiness to others, you know? Ironically, when I moved back up here for school and pre-recruitment, the theme was “authenticity”. That just pushed me even more forward into this stage I’m in, which is when I applied to go to Manila.

HC: Have you always wanted to be a part of something bigger than yourself and helping others?

GG: I was reading this forum the other day, one of the women speaking was saying how she’s never had a desire to be a part of something bigger than herself, like she doesn’t see any element of that in her psychology. So, she doesn’t see really see the importance of the phrase. I think it’s all in the values of a person. I, on the other hand, strive to be bigger than myself. It’s definitely in my DNA or soul, to “do better” and “be better.” People should become aware that life shouldn’t be taken for granted, and instead, should be made purposeful.

Courtesy: Gaby Galban

HC: If you could get one message out to the world about your upcoming volunteer trip, what would it be?

GG: Wake up!!! If everyone’s selfish, there’s no evolution. If you have even a tiny desire, look into it! Educate yourself! Give, give, give with no expectations and love, love, love wholeheartedly. That’s what I’d say. 

Courtesy: Gaby Galban

HC: You’re a sister of Delta Delta Delta, so what is your favorite thing about your sorority and how has it changed you?

GG: Greek life is such a controversial topic. Not only with people in college towns, but to the outsiders, those who are not very knowledgeable about fraternities and sororities. If you’re reading this, I don’t buy my friends nor am I solely involved for the parties. We also don’t pretend to be something we’re not, and fraternity boys aren’t all that bad like the stereotype make them out to be. I have no doubt that I blossomed brighter after joining Tri Delta. Greek life really encourages leadership, whether it be through the chapter, on campus, or just in general. That’s one of our main values, which is awesome because in high school, I kind of just went with the flow, you know? I didn’t have a desire to take action. Maybe there was no need for me to, or maybe I just wasn’t pushed enough. Last year, my sisters made me realize how much of an impact we can make on others. We are constantly learning how to serve as leaders by practicing social skills and doing activities that allow us to take on a role of power. 

HC: Dance Marathon is coming up. Are you in any way involved and are you looking forward to it?

GG: Florida State does an amazing job in advocating Dance Marathon. It’s such an amazing event, and I wish everyone was involved. This week was FSU’s statement day, reaching 200,000 dollars in like 24 hours or something like that. The school has plenty of events to promote this function and raise money for it. There are “Share it Nights” and fundraisers. Our chapter encourages participation too. We all create fundraising pages, which makes the donation slot easier since we individually post and share it with friends and family.

Courtesy: Gaby Galban

HC: What is your favorite thing about DM?

GG: Oh, for sure the unity. Different people from all walks of life come together for the kids. That’s like the unofficial motto, if you didn’t know. It’s an incredible thing to see people dance for those who can’t for a whole day. It’s just so inspiring to be a part of something so impactful.

If you’re interested in learning more or want to help in any way with her trip to Manila, click here to learn more and donate!

Her Campus at Florida State University.