FSUnited: The Day We All Bled Garnet and Gold

A night that started out like any other in Strozier library: students cramming for exams and projects…

…when tragedy struck.

Myron May, an alumni of FSU, shot three students before being subdued on the front ramp of Stroz.

FSU-PD took quick action and reacted in a way that potentially saved many more from getting hurt.

Miracles were seen on that fateful night: student Jason Derfuss was saved by a bullet when his textbooks in his backpack stopped a bullet from reaching him.

Electrical engineering student and Strozier worker Nathan Scott was shot in the leg and proceeded to run to warn others about the threat.

Thanks to warnings from Scott and the rapid police response, students were safely escorted from Strozier around 2 am. One student, whose name has not been disclosed, is still in critical condition in the hospital.

Prayers were sent to this student and all of those affected by the incident through a candlelight vigil.

President Josh Thrasher, student body president Stefano Cavallaro, mayor-elect Andrew Gillum and the Director of the center for Leadership and Social Change Laura Osteen spoke to those in the crowd.

“The world is watching tonight,” Thrasher said. “They’re watching how we responded to this incredible crises, and I hope they’re watching this crowd right here.”

Some tried to make light of our situation…

…but we turned our backs away from them to come together to heal as one.

Banner in Strozier that every Nole is welcome to come and sign

Now we wait for the reporters to leave so we can go back to a state of normalcy.

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.