FSU’s Equestrian Team Hosts Western Horse Show

On Saturday, February 4, Florida State University’s Equestrian Team hosted a Western horse show at Lazy Triangle D Farm. The show was administered under IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Show Association) and seven schools from across Florida participated.

Holley Nicholson, FSU senior, riding in the Advanced Horsemanship class.
Courtesy: Holley Nicholson

“Hosting our annual horse show was very exciting,” says co-captain Ellen Waidner. “Since our team only has ten competitive members, the preparation was a lot of work. From inviting community members to donate their horses to creating programs, we worked hard to make this event the best it could possibly be.”

The event consisted of both a morning and afternoon show, each with one reining class and six divisions of horsemanship classes. In the morning show, Florida State University was awarded the following ribbons: a second place (to Hannah Leeds), two third places (to Ellen Waidner, Rebecca Brown), three fourth places (to Ellen Waidner, Taylor Crutchfield, Taylor Miller), two fifth places (to Lorelei Setzer, Samantha Coleman), and a sixth place (to Paige Smith). The overall winning team was University of Florida, and the reserve team was University of South Florida.

“Although I showed horses before college, IHSA college events are one of a kind,” shares freshman Hannah Leeds. “Horses are randomly drawn and assigned the day of the event. We all have to ride horses we have never ridden before, and only compete after reading a brief description about them. The show is designed to judge only the rider on how they handle this task and present themselves. Although it isn’t easy, it’s a great learning experience. It also allows for college students who don’t have their own horse to show.”

After a lunch break, riders reconvened for the afternoon show. Florida State University won the following ribbons: a first place (to Taylor Miller), five second places (to Shelby Curran, Samantha Coleman, Taylor Crutchfield, Paige Smith, Rebecca Brown), a third place (to Hannah Leeds), two fourth places (to Ellen Waidner, Holley Nicholson), and a fifth place (to Samantha Coleman). Again, University of Florida was the winning team. The reserve team was Florida State University.

Taylor Miller shows off her first place prizes alongside Clyde.
Courtesy: Taylor Miller

“Competing in college horse shows has highlighted my love for horses and passion for riding,” explains freshman Taylor Miller. “The people on this team are some of my favorite people I have ever met!”

Ultimately, Florida State University’s Equestrian Team hosted a successful Western show. Many passionate equestrians in the Tallahassee community contributed to the event.

“We are so thankful for our coach, Jean Anthony, for always encouraging us,” comments co-captain Samantha Coleman. “Also, the team is fortunate that Lazy Triangle D agreed to be the venue for our show! The event would not have been possible without everyone at the farm, the amazing volunteers, and our sponsors.”

Shelby Curran is a senior at Florida State University majoring in English with a concentration in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications.
Alex is native to Miami, Florida but currently resides in Tallahassee. She's a Senior at Florida State double majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Media Communications.