Today, rugby enjoys a rich tradition and a fanatically loyal following across the world, with the game specifically gaining traction in America. However, for some reason unbeknownst to myself or any sane individual (well, mostly Europeans), rugby is not considered a varsity sport in the United States. This means that there’s no funding for the FSU rugby team. Fortunately, the team is able to raise money through donations from fans and alumni, player dues, and fundraising. The lack of university-allocated funds has not stood in the way of the team’s continued success.

This year, FSU men’s rugby will be advancing to the playoffs for their third consecutive year to face the defending national champions, the UCF Knights. The game will be held in Marietta, Georgia on Saturday, April 12 at Life University. But before we talk about this fierce rivalry here is a little background on the game.

Basic Rules:

o The objective is to outscore the opposing team (shocker, I know).

o Scores are referred to as “try’s.”

o Try’s are worth five points with an opportunity to kick for the extra two points.

o Players can also score off place kicks at goal taken after penalties for three points.

o The ball can be carried, kicked, and basically mauled across the field in a type of methodical madness.

o As far as passing goes, the ball must always travel backwards.

Tech Terms:

o Ball Carrier- The player in position of the ball.

o Bust or Tackle Bust- When a player breaks through an attempted tackle.

o Conversion- Kicking for the extra two points (like a field goal).

o Pitch- Field (think quittage pitch).

o Try Line- Same as the goal line. It’s where the ball carrier crosses to score.

o Scrum (short for scrummage)- The starting forwards from both teams bind together in packs of eight and the ball is introduced into the middle (you really have to see this one to understand it).

o Ruck- Similar to a scrum, a ruck is mini wrestling match that occurs where the ball carrier is after tackled. The players huddle up around the ball and both teams fight for possession.

o SIRC- Southern Independent Rugby Conference.

I spoke with Senior Dan Burczack, FSU team captain, about his thoughts on the playoffs and the season as a whole. “It’s an honor to continue the legacy of Florida State University’s rugby team with another playoff birth. We have a great core of players who have been working hard to get to this point and the team is excited at the chance to win another SIRC championship.”

The team has had a challenging, but very rewarding season, especially after their exciting win over UF. Finishing with a record of 3-3-1, FSU competes in the SIRC with a bracket of three other Florida teams: USF, FIU, and UCF, the defending national champions (UF is in a different bracket, but it is still a heated rivalry). In order to compete in the playoffs, FSU had to finish in the top two of the four teams. Top seeding is based on wins and in the case of a tied number of wins the birth goes to the higher scoring team.

The team members are very supportive of each other. There is a deep bond developed since the prospect of injury is nearly always imminent. “Throughout the season’s ups and downs, senior captain Dan Burczak has maintained control of the ship and steered his team straight into the postseason,” said Rugby Director senior Javier Ayo.

If you didn’t get to make it out to a game this year you are missing out, but not to worry you can catch them all next year! The team plays at the Rec Sports Plex aka the new IM fields. This hooligan’s game, as it is playfully referred to, is strongly represented by a close-knit team of talented players here at FSU.

If you happen to be in the Atlanta area and want to attend the match, it will be held at the Life University pitch at 12pm noon on Saturday, April 12. Also, feel free to follow the livefeed of the match on Twitter by following @FSURugby. If you feel generous head on over to the fundraising page and show your support! 

Third year Editing/Writing/Media & International Affairs Major.FSU Campus Correspondent Reader, Runner, Coffee lover."Everyones life ends the same way. It is only the details of how one lived and how one died that distinguish one man from another." ~Hemingway 
Her Campus at Florida State University.