Flying High into the Future

22-year-old Rachel Traeger is no stranger to the stage. As one of FSU’s Flying High Circus performers, Traeger has been tumbling and doing gymnastics ever since she first laid eyes on a gym at 7 years old. “I couldn’t keep myself away,” she said.

FSU’s Flying High Circus is one of the two collegiate circuses in the nation. Students are responsible for almost every aspect of production, from setup to sewing costumes. Traeger is responsible for selling tickets and performing on the jump rope team. “My favorite part of the show is getting dressed up and actually performing,” she said. “I get nervous at first, but once I’m out on the floor, all my nerves disappear.”

Traeger’s involvement in the show means dedicating a few hours each week to perfecting her performance with the other circus stars. “It’s definitely a time commitment, but I love the team I work with so it never feels like a chore.” Traeger’s love of tumbling has also translated into a job coaching boys and girls the basics of cheering and gymnastics at the Trousdell Gymnastics Center in town. 

Besides her love of gymnastics, most of Traeger’s heart belongs by the coastline. As a self-proclaimed “beach bum,” this Palm Beach Gardens resident spent almost every day of her summer by the sea. “After I graduate, I want to travel to Hawaii and Australia. I would also love to get an internship around the coasts of Florida.” Rachel channels her love of the sea into her school work. As an environmental science major, she ultimately aspires to work with the rehabilitation of marine animals at aquariums. She completed a Directed Individual Study last spring and contributed to the chairman of FSU’s biology department website.

Scuba-certified Traeger is also heavily involved with an organization called Surfers for Autism. The Surfers for Autism organization serves to eliminate the stigma behind autism through public awareness and volunteer events. Many events involve trained instructors guiding kids with autism into the waves, followed by a fun-filled day of games, activities, and a cookout. “I got involved with Surfers for Autism when I was visiting Loggerhead Marine Life Center and the man in charge of the organization invited me to an event at Juno Beach. I was hooked and I just kept going to events!” Unlike most people who bring timesheets and forms for volunteer supervisors to fill out, Traeger brings an open heart and helping hands. “It’s really rewarding to see the kids get excited when they are in the water, or even when they talk for the first time. Their faces completely light up.” Traeger just came back from an event in Jacksonville a few weeks ago, but she is currently packing her bags for an upcoming event in Puerto Rico in November.

Whether she’s performing for large audiences, teaching kids how to tumble and surf, or celebrating “Aloha Friday” in floral hibiscus leggings, Rachel Traeger will continue to do what she loves most in the place she loves most – by the beach.

Photo credit to Bob Howard

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!