EDJ and Delta Spirit: A Peek Into West Coast Indie Rock

EDJ, a solo musician from Portland, Oregon, and Delta Spirit, a band whose members reign from various California cities, stole my heart at Club Downunder last Monday night. 

EDJ opened for Delta Spirit. My favorite performance was the song “Minor Miracles,” which he is performing in the above photo. For all of his songs, EDJ recorded notes on his keyboard right on stage and replayed them throughout the song. This, in combination with his electric guitar skills and prerecorded drum beats, definitely gave EDJ a “one man band” vibe.

For one song, EDJ collaborated with Delta Spirit member Kelly Winrich on the drums. EDJ even brought out his harmonica for this one, further proving his wide range of musical talent.

Delta Spirit came out soon after. Here they are performing “Tear It Up,” which was one of my favorite songs of the night. The emphatic combination of drums and electric guitars definitely got my adrenaline pumping.

My favorite song of the night was “C’mon People,” both for the lyrics and the atmosphere when Delta Spirit performed it. The entire audience was clapping and repeatedly singing along with lead singer Matt Vasquez. “If you’re feeling what I’m feeling, c’mon! All you soul-searching people, c’mon!”

The audience went crazy over Delta Spirit. The majority stayed for the entire 15-song sequence, plus the encore. The night was full of those perfect concert moments in which the venue is swallowed into another universe, where everyone relates to each other and nobody cares how crazy they look as they feel the music.

Delta Spirit released their new album, Into the Wide, on September 9.

Sarah Christine Davis is a junior at FSU who frequently has to use her middle name so as not to be confused with the millions of other girls who have the most basic first and last name combination ever. She is double majoring in Editing, Writing, & Media and Media & Communications Studies and, believe it or not, one day wants to work in the media. In her spare time, she comes up with ways to have a friendship as perfect as Amy Poehler and Tina Fey's, daydreams about creating a cat park in her home town (dog parks are so discriminatory), and updates her LinkedIn and Online CV profiles. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.