With finals quickly approaching, students are doing anything and everything we can to scrape by with the highest grades possible.  Whether it be papers, projects, assignments, or 100 multiple choice questions we all are feeling the pressures of the end of the semester. 

For most students this means crunch time; staying up until the early hours of the morning fueled by Redbull, coffee and pretty much any food we can get our hands on (for me, its Chick-Fil-A by the William Johnston building).  However, as delicious as those waffle fries are, fast food and other junk foods will do absolutely nothing for you in regards to your focus and brain power.  What we really need are snacks that will provide nutrients to our brains and help fuel those late night study sessions.

Contrary to popular belief, sugary foods are not going to give you that extra kick to stay up for four more hours.  While you might feel energized immediately afterwards, you will crash later, and the vicious cycle begins.  I’ve compiled a list of options for students to consider while studying this week.

1. Fish

I know what you’re thinking—where am I going to find fish, have time to make fish, or do I even want to eat fish?No thank you.As college students, fish can be harder to come by, even if you want to eat it.However, the vitamin section of almost every drugstore has a fish oil capsule that you take like a pill.Your body still gets the nourishment from the fatty acids but you don’t have to worry about the fishy smell.

2. Berries

Berries are rich in antioxidants, which protect you from brain damage and memory loss.Blueberries are the most potent in antioxidants, but a general rule of thumb is the brighter the color, the richer they are in nutrients.Try freezing blueberries, making a smoothie, or going for some chocolate covered strawberries.

3. Dark Chocolate

My personal favorite choice.Dark chocolate contains fiber, iron and magnesium, but it also contains trace amounts of stimulants such as caffeine.Best consumed in moderation (but who’s counting?)

4. Spinach

Popeye always said that spinach would make you strong, but who knew that it is good for your brain as well?Researchers actually found that rats that were fed a diet containing spinach performed far better on a memory and learning test than rats that did not consume spinach.Next time you eat a salad, opt for spinach instead of lettuce.Don’t like salad?Toss a handful of spinach in your smoothie—the flavors of the fruit mask the flavor of the spinach and you won’t taste it at all!Plus, when everyone sees you carrying a green smoothie they automatically will think you are super health conscious which is always a bonus.

There you have it, four foods proven to boost your brain resilience and overall health!  So maybe next time you are running to CVS or Publix before you head to the library you can pick up some dark chocolate or berries as a substitute for chips and a Coke, your brain will thank you in the long run.  Good luck on finals!

Her Campus at Florida State University.