Eat This, Not That: A College Student’s Guide to Healthy Eating

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Food Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from the best brunch spots in Tallahassee to a complete recount of what went down when one of our staff writers decided to cook a meal in her dishwasher (yes, it’s a thing and yes, she actually tried it). Don’t miss out!  

These genius replacements create ways to minimize calories and carbs while packing your meals with lots of great nutrients!

Courtesy: Tastespace

Zucchini

While everyone loves pasta, we often find ourselves restricting this dish from our diets to rescue our waistlines. Zucchini makes an easy substitute that doesn’t leave you sluggish and tired afterwards. While just a cup of cooked spaghetti has over 200 calories, a heaping five cups of zucchini noodles stays under 100, which leaves tons of room for your favorite rich pasta sauces! Choosing a vegetable noodle like spiralized zucchini or spaghetti squash cuts back on calories and carbs while filling you up with fiber and Vitamin C. Recipes here and here

Courtesy: Fastcodesign

Popcorn

While you may be used to eating chips while mindlessly browsing the internet, unfortunately they’re full of calories and fat that can make you feel not-so-great. Instead of reaching for chips during your next Netflix marathon, try popping some popcorn! A gigantic bag of Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop popcorn has only 100 calories for six times as much food! The great thing about making your own popcorn at home is that it’s very customizable to your favorite flavors. Try shaking in some cinnamon and sugar to curb a late night sweet tooth, or lime juice and chili powder for a calorie-free kick!

Courtesy: Soletshangout

Cauliflower

Believe it or not, recent recipes for cauliflower have made serious strides in turning that bland veggie you left on your plate last as a kid into a flavorful substitute for many foods you eat every day. Like zucchini and squash, cauliflower makes a great replacement for tons of dishes like rice and pizza crust because of all the benefits that veggies have, like very few carbs and tons of vitamins. Pour a creamy cauliflower sauce over some zucchini noodles for an easy vegan, low-calorie dinner!

Courtesy: Pinterest

Club Soda

With the infinite flavors of soda available today (I’m talking to you, Coca Cola mixer machine), it seems almost impossible to pass up on those fizzy drinks. We know they’re bad for us (a can of Coke has 39 grams of sugar, while the recommended daily limit is only 25 grams- yikes!), but that bubbly joy it brings drags us back. Club soda is a great substitute because it has no flavor, no calories and no sugar. Its flavor is entirely up to you! Try powdered drink mixes like Crystal Light, or make your own flavors at home with fresh ingredients. Raspberries and lemon juice make a sweet and tangy drink, or mix in some mint leaves and lime juice for a mojito you won’t be judged for drinking at 10 a.m.

Courtesy: Phillymag

Smoothies

We’re all guilty of those stops at Steak N’ Shake for one of their glorious milkshakes before heading home for the night. But these treats can be costly- one large cookies and cream milkshake has almost 1200 calories, which is over half as many as you should eat in a day! While they’re still enticing, milkshakes just don’t stand up to smoothies when it comes to the nutrients and ingredients. Filling a blender to the brim with your favorite fruits, veggies and ice and milk has fewer calories than a milkshake, while providing tons of fiber and satisfying your need for a frozen treat!

Emma is a second year Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University from Tampa, Florida. In her spare time, she likes to volunteer with animals, cook, and sleep.
Her Campus at Florida State University.