The Easiest Dorm-Friendly Cake Recipe Ever

Are you craving something sweet? Do you want to show off your nonexistent baking skills? Do you only have two ingredients in your teeny, tiny dorm fridge? Well if those two ingredients are a box of cake mix and a can of soda then you’re in luck! Pouring a can of your favorite soda into a box of cake mix will replace the eggs, milk and oil you would normally add. Diet coke and regular Coca-Cola are staples that won’t alter the taste too much, while white cake mix is a neutral tasting mix that will blend well with just about any soda flavor you add it to. Pop the mixture into the oven and bake according to the box’s instructions like normal and you’ve got an easy and delicious cake! Bonus tip –  if the cake mix is already vegan (and most are, just be sure to double check) then you just made a vegan cake!

Here are a couple varieties you can make:

Orange soda + white cake mix = orange cream cake

Dr. Pepper + chocolate cake mix = chocolate pepper cake

Sprite + lemon cake mix = light citrus cake

Root beer + devil’s food cake mix = root beer float cake

Cherry coke + red velvet cake mix = intense red velvet cake

Not only is this a great life hack but it is also such a quick and easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth that you will be able to impress everyone else on your floor with your unique cake! If you’re feeling especially creative, pour the mix into a cupcake pan and you’ll be able to surprise anyone on their birthday!

Elizabeth Dorwart is Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU. When she's not reading, writing, or editing articles, she enjoys trying new recipes from Pinterest or playing with her cats. Feel free to ask her any Taylor Swift trivia because she probably knows the answer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.