Dr. Cecille Tapia-Santiago Shares Her Beginner’s Guide to Birth Control

Below is a conversation had with an American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology board certified MD. For more information please visit: acog.org and consult your OBGYN for the most effective birth control for yourself. And remember: always use condoms.

Her Campus (HC): So, what Medical School did you attend? And where did you do your residency?

Dr. Cecille Tapia-Santiago (CT): NYU School of Medicine and UTSW Parkland Hospital. I currently work at my practice, Volusia OB/GYN and serve as Medical Director at Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center’s Birth Care Center.

HC: For young women, is there a type of birth control that you would recommend? Such as the pill or a type of IUD?

CT: Well, it depends on sexual activity, how compliant the patient would be with the daily pill and if they have other issues such as acne or bad cycles. Condoms are the rule NO MATTER WHAT!

HC: Of course! Are there certain pros and cons to using the pill?

CT: The pill again requires daily administrating and if you forget you lose efficacy and increase your chances of abnormal bleeding. There are many, many pills out there and sometimes you must try more than one to find a good fit. There are patients that shouldn’t be on them. But as a whole, it is safe, tends to make periods light, less cramping, and have good effects on the skin.

HC: What about IUDs (Inter Uterine Devices)?

CT: The IUDs are very convenient, ‘set and forget,’ and there are three basic models. The 10-year hormone free and the five or the three-year progesterone containing.  Patients with multiple sexual partners or those with unsafe sexual practices should not have them. The two hormone containing ones have a flow benefit as well, the five more than the three. The three though, is tiny so it is easier to place in patients that have not had children, although we have put the other ones in those patients as well. The 10 year does not have a period benefit but that does not mean your periods will get worse.

HC: Why should patients with multiple sexual partners avoid the five or three progesterone ones?

CT: The risk of an STI ascending to their uterus and beyond increases; this includes the ten-year one or really any IUD as well.

HC: That’s interesting, I have never heard that before! What would be the pros and cons of the ring?

Courtesy: Giphy

CT: The Vaginal Ring has the lowest dose of birth control on the market, yet very effective. If you can put a tampon in you can put one in monthly. The cons, however, are that insurance sometimes won’t cover it. There can also be a slight increase risk of benign vaginal discharge.

HC: And the shots?

CT: You get the shots every three months and they are very effective. Ninety percent of patients stop having their periods within six months. The other ten percent, however, bleed frequently, breakthrough bleeding that is light and brown. Some weight gain is possible, it is with any hormonal method, but it seems people complain about it more with this, although data states that is comparable with other methods.

HC: What about the implant?

CT: The implant lasts three years and is the MOST effective contraceptive. Although, the breakthrough bleeding rate is in the 20% plus range and that is the number one reason why women stop using it. Oh, and diaphragms are out there as well. They have increased efficacy when used along with a condom, but there is, of course, a spontaneity issue that is no different than condoms.

HC: This is a lot of useful information, thank you! Is there are anything else you think young college-aged women should know?

CT: Boys and girls have cooties, STDs, and STIs, and they are new and improved. They may not show any or few symptoms. Be smart. Safe sex saves lives.

Courtesy: verywell.com

Food Network and puppies for life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.