Don’t Keep Calm – Scream and Fight Back

Courtesy: WCTV

Tallahassee is home to over 41,000 students. Some students are just now starting off their new chapter away from the comfort and protection of their homes. In 2015 alone, there have been seven reported abduction attempts (February 25, March 2, May 20, July 12, July 22, August 15 and August 19) all located around FSU’s campus. These incidents have become way too common for students in Tallahassee. It is sad that students have to be scared to walk back to their dorm or apartment after their meeting got out at 10 p.m. 

I talked to FSU students Marin Haffner and Isabelle Resnick about how they feel about these incidents.

Name: Marin Haffner

Age: 19

Her Campus (HC): So how do you feel about all the emails you have been getting this year at Florida State about attempted abductions around campus?

Marin Haffner (MH): It makes me feel a lot more unsafe than I did last year, that’s for sure. It definitely makes me more aware of my surroundings when I’m alone and ultimatelyit has helped me in making smarter choices to ensure my safety and others.

Name: Isabelle Resnick

Age: 19

HC: How do you feel about the consistent abduction attempts occurring around campus this year?

Isabelle Resnick (IR): It worries me and makes me think that it could happen to me. I have taken extra precautions whenever I leave my apartment. It’s scary to be so vulnerable in a place where you would want to consider yourself safe and sound. I am happy that no one has actually gotten taken though. It really shows me that fighting back really does help.

81% of attempted abductions are prevented by fighting back. On the bright side, there has not been a report of someone actually going missing. Though some of the suspects have been armed, these women have fought back with all their might to get away and have succeeded. Florida State’s campus does have some safety perks for those of you who were unaware. 

1. Safe Bus – FSU’s Safe Bus is a free bus service that drives all through campus picking up and dropping off students from their dorm to Strozier or anywhere you need to be. Their hours are from 7:00pm-2:30am. Don’t ever hesitate to call (850) 644-SAFE (7233).

2. Nole Cab – Nole Cab is a convenient and cheap cab service that holds up to four students at a rate of $5 a ride. Only 2 stops are allowed and students must present their FSU ID to get the discount. Their hours range from 10:00pm-4:00am. Contact them at (850) 999-9999.

3. Night Nole – The Night Nole is a free public bus service that runs on an extended route outside of Florida State’s campus. During the summer the bus does not run. During the fall and spring semesters though they run Tuesday-Saturday from 10:30pm-3:00am. To find out where the closest bus is to you and the route it travels, download Transloc Rider Transit Tracking & Alerts.

4. Emergency Blue Light Telephones (EBLT) – Located all around Florida State’s Campus there are 400 light poles that have a red emergency button on it. If you ever feel threatened or feel like you may be being followed or anything that makes you feel endangered, press the button. As you go through campus keep pressing the buttons which will alert FSUPD and leave a trail for them to follow you. 

Now I know what you may be thinking, If FSU offers all these amazing safety services, why is there still so much crime? FSUPD is very much aware of what is going on and is doing everything they can to investigate these cases. FSUPD released a safety announcement saying, “Each case has been assigned to a Violent Crimes Investigator for a full investigation. Please see the attached map for general location of the incidents. TPD is asking anyone with information about these cases to please call them at (850) 891-4200 or CrimeStoppers at (850) 574-TIPS. TPD is also reminding area residents to please remain vigilant of their surroundings, never walk alone and to report any suspicious circumstances or persons to the Consolidated Dispatch Agency at (850) 606-5800 or in an emergency to dial 911. The Leon County Sheriff’s Office may also be reached through the Consolidated Dispatch Agency.” 

So remember ro jot down those bus and cab numbers and never walk anywhere at night by yourself. Stay safe, Collegiettes!

I don't dress up for boys. I dress up to stare at my reflection as I walk by store windows.
Her Campus at Florida State University.