Devin Bielski: Criminology Major, Traveler and Proud Hufflepuff

Name: Devin Bielski

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major(s): Criminology and Psychology

Hometown: Coral Springs, FL

Relationship Status: Single

Courtesy: Devin Bielski

Her Campus (HC):  What made you choose to major in criminology and psychology?

Devin Bielski (DB): Well, I came to FSU as an exploratory major and I took a FIG (Freshman Interest Group) that included Intro to Criminology and I ended up really enjoying the class. Honestly, the reason I took the FIG is because I really like crime TV shows, and I know they are nothing like how it works in real life, but it got me interested in working in the field!

HC: What are your plans for the future involving criminology?

DB:  I would like to go into the FBI, but I am not sure yet which section I would like to work for. I have always wanted to go into the BAU (Behavioral Analysis Unit), but I have also considered white collar crime.

HC: Wow! That is amazing! Our next question for you is what organizations are you involved in?

DB: I am a part of ΛAE (Lambda Alpha Epsilon) which is a criminology fraternity, and I am also a member of EƩA (Epsilon Sigma Alpha) which is a co-ed service fraternity.

HC: What kinds of things do you do with ΛAE?

DB: Well, we have business meetings four times a semester where they bring in speakers with different law enforcement backgrounds to talk to us, which is really helpful in figuring out what you want to do in law enforcement. We also do community service and we have socials.

HC: We heard you learned how to shoot there, can you tell us about that experience?

DB: Yeah! During our pledge retreat they took us to a shooting range and we each got to shoot a couple of rounds. It was awesome, it was my first time but I hit one of the targets. Since then I have gone one more time with my uncle, and I hit another target then, so you know, practice makes perfect [laughs].

Courtesy: Devin Bielski

HC: Do you have any interesting plans for the summer?

DB: Yes! I’m going to be studying abroad in London this summer! I am really excited about it and my family is going to go on a two week trip before-hand and then they are going to drop me off in London.

HC: What will you be studying there?

DB: I will be studying psychology.

HC: What place are you most looking forward to visiting?

DB: I am really excited about going to Amsterdam!

HC: What do you do in your free time?

DB: I watch a lot of Netflix! Right now I am watching Arrow and The Flash, and I am re-watching One Tree Hill.

HC: Since you like Arrow and The Flash, who is your favorite superhero?

DB: That’s hard! But probably Captain America.

HC: Who is your favorite comedian/late night host?

DB: Stephen Colbert.

HC: What has been your favorite experience, so far, as a student at FSU?

DB: That’s a hard question! I’d have to say joining EƩA because I got to meet new people and help out the community. It’s hard to make friends in college, but joining an organization that is smaller is helpful in meeting a lot of great people!

Courtesy: Devin Bielski

HC: If you could be anywhere after hours, where would you go?

DB: The Cliffs of Moher, in Ireland! I think it would be really pretty to see at night!

HC: So we take it that you’ve been to Ireland!

DB: Yeah! I went my senior year of high school, and it was one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever had. Cliffs of Moher was the most breathtaking, but every town we went to was so different so it is hard to choose my favorite place. It was just a really wonderful experience!  

HC: What is the best piece of advice you have received?

DB: Not to take life so seriously. We are in college and we should be having fun. There is a time to be serious but you should still take this time to find yourself and do what you love.

HC: One last question: what is the best book you’ve ever read?

DB: Well I don’t have one book, but the Harry Potter series is my favorite. I am a proud Hufflepuff! 

Courtesy: Devin Bielski

Her Campus FSU Staff Writer Junior // Creative Writing & Communications Travel/Tea/Theatre Enthusiast Follow me @ShutUpSkyler
Her Campus at Florida State University.