etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Cynic’s Guide to Valentine’s Day (As Told by Gossip Girl)

No one looks forward to spending Valentine’s Day alone. If you’re single these might sound a little familiar.

Once the month of February hits, there seems to be a sea of hot pinks and reds as far as the eye can see. For some, it’s an early kick to the month of love. But if you’re anything like me, it’s a reminder of the ticking clock and that it’s only a matter of weeks until the whole world celebrates Valentine’s Day with their significant others. I’d rather just hibernate all of February…

However, some singles transform into optimists for one month a year. Although we refuse to admit it, we still have faith that Mr. Right will step into our lives before the big dayeven if it’s February 13th. We scout every classroom, take every Tinder match seriously, and are a bit facey in the hopes of finding a guy to sweep us off our feet. Even if we don’t find one, we always make sure to have a great backup plan. As Blair would say, “Have a little faith, and if that doesn’t work, a lot of mimosas.” 

Of course, you don’t want to carry all this negativity yourself so you complain to a girlfriend about not having a valentine. She tries to understand… or as much as she can considering she has a boyfriend. No matter how much she says she isn’t looking forward to it or that her significant other is sure to disappoint, it just doesn’t compare. She tells you to pamper yourself and practice self-love. Hello, I do that 364 days out of the year, let me just sulk and curl up to my valentines: Ben and Jerry.  

Some girls decide to plan the day with a chalk-full of events with your BFF to keep busy. As Blair so eloquently puts it, “Whoever said that money doesn’t buy happiness didn’t know where to shop.” I promise there is no therapy like retail therapy.  

Lots of us singles try to keep busy by doing something we love while simultaneously hating this day and what it stands for. Is there a better way to spend my time? Absolutely not. 100% no.

Valentine’s Day might be the worst day of all time on Instagram. Kissing photos, teddy bears, and chocolates galore. I’m not sure what it is, but everyone feels the need to share their special day on social media. I am by no means interested in seeing any of these pictures, but I can’t stop myself from checking anyway. No I don’t really ‘like’ your photo, but to prove I’m not a man-hating, anti-love gal I’ll double tap.

My least favorite thing about Valentine’s Day comes the day after. On February 15th what seems like your entire family, second cousins twice removed and all, won’t stop hounding you with the same questions: “How was your day?” “What did you do?” “Who was your Valentine?” This is also the day that your friends want to boast and it seems like everyone in the world spent their day in a helicopter or at a five-star restaurant… except you.  

But nothing compares to the feeling when you realize the day is over and you won’t have to suffer that much again for another 364 days. You have just endured a single girl’s nightmare and lived to tell the tale. The best part? You’re now accepting applications for Valentine’s Day 2016. 

Taylor is a sophomore at the Florida State University. She enjoys Thai food, sunshine and when guac doesn’t cost extra. If you can’t find her around campus she is most likely in bed watching Parks and Rec on repeat. She is on the eternal search for the indie bearded Chuck Bass & is currently accepting applications. She has (finally) chosen to pursue a degree in Editing, Writing, and Media!!
Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_